Topic: Tips, Tricks, FAQs  (Read 16323 times)

ineedcords

« on: June 23, 2021, 10:42:18 PM »
Just wanted to list some tips and tricks I learned from others via the forums/wiki/YouTube or a few things I figured on my own.
Some items in the list may be shockingly obvious to you but not to some other players - please simply skip the ones you already know without getting offended... :)

I am hoping some of this would be helpful to others, obviously newest players would benefit most although even seasoned players can always learn from each other as there is a lot to do and try in this game.
If anyone's interested, please feel free to add your tips. I might add them to the first post at some point to keep altogether. Unsure how the format/classification should be so will start with an easy numbered list.

OK sat down to list 10 and exceeded it. More to be added as time permits...

• Pinpointing a Target's Position/Distance in Wilderness Map (zoomed out map): Travelling in wilderness map, you see a thing of interest (elk/reindeer/njerp/adventurer etc.) and want to pinpoint its location. To do this, press F3 to get a cursor, then using your NumPad keys move the cursor over the target while counting each movement such as 3 tiles NorthEast + 1 tile North. Press F3 to close the cursor. Now you can move to the marked location 3 NorthEast + 1 North and should be able to find some tracks -hopefully-.
  • How to Sleep Warm in Winter (without a cabin or perfectly warm clothes): If you can tan/buy furs, even if harsh quality, you can place them on your shelter & sleep warm inside the furs, keeping player warm throughout the sleep duration. I've tried minimum 19 lbps of furs (one 9 lbps reindeer fur and another 10 lbps) which results in "You wrap yourself in FUR and lay asleep" text. More than 30 lbps results in "You lay on the FURS and fall asleep". This tip is from 'news.txt' file that is located in your game directory.
    (TODO Do ragged quality also work & keep player warm?)
    (TODO What's the minimum threshold?)
  • Strafe Movement with CTRL+NumPad: This probably should not be a tip as it is so basic but I've seen long playlists on YouTube where the player for many videos keeps turning East moving one tile, then turning North East moving one tile (presumably with UpArrow key) etc. Instead, one can simply hold down CTRL key and press NumPad9 to go (strafe) NorthEast regardless of the direction you are facing (i.e. you do not need to be facing NorthEast to go North East). This and all other keyboard shortcuts are available in game with the ? hotkey
  • Fighting Against Wolf Packs: This is probably the #1 danger in this game and there are quite a few dedicated threads about it so this tip is just to make sure you read at least one before you start adventuring in UrW world! Here is a randomly picked one: https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=4744.0
  • Key to Turn Around 180 Degrees: Especially in battle where each moment counts, it is useful to turn around quickly. Numpad1 and Numpad3 will turn around 180 degrees. In addition to the usual 90-degree turns (NumPad7 & NumPad9, there are also 45-degree turns that can be useful which are NumPad3 and NumPad6. While in game press ? to learn about many other hotkeys.
  • Skill Training: As explained in the Game Course, it is possible to improve your skills simply by doing whatever-it-is a lot. For example to train bow skill, simply shoot a lot of arrows. More details can be found in many skill training guides, here is one: https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=1163.0
  • Minimalist Sauna: You are dreaming of your own sauna and want to get there as fast as possible? This design by Privateer is for you - it requires least amount of resources and building time https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6132.msg16870#msg16870
  • How to Get Bear/Seal Teeth?: Galgana explains here: https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=4682.msg9275#msg9275
  • Robbing Robbers (of the chance of robbing you): JP_Finn shares a trick here that is usable even in butt-naked stages of the game (it won't work always but when it does it is satisfying) https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=59.msg18779#msg18779
  • Treat Own Pet's Bleeding Wound(s): Access the Physician skill via skills page ("s") or via the hotkey 'ALT+P'; need to have bandage in your inventory.
  • Displaying Day Count: Press SHIFT+P to display your characters stats, at the top of screen, you will see a text "You are 19 winters old, and have lived 1339 days of adventuring life.". The day count in that screen can be used in Map Markers to keep your future self better informed such as "Elk Spotted Here on Day 1305" and "Dried Meat will be ready on Day 1358". Then from F6 (map) screen you can plan your next visit towards that particular location in an informed way.
  • How Can You Get An Axe Early Game?: Overall useful thread, linked. I particularly liked the ingenious tactic shared by Plotinus: "You can push a tree trunk next to an axe in a village, and then, without picking up their axe, craft boards with it. By not picking up the axe, you signal to them that you're just borrowing their axe, so they don't demand payment. This might seem kind of cheaty though so you might want to return to the village later and give a generous donation of some kind." https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=1014.0
  • Character Creation Screen Tip: Unless you have a special reason, in general do not waste your limited skill points on Physical Skills (e.g.: Skiing/Stealth/Swimming) as these are the easiest skills to train within the first year if not the first season.
  • Print Screen World Map Before Entering Game World: RPwise debatable practice, on the other hand, for practical reasons it might come in handy. It's taken from werepacman's this post https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=3746.msg7577#msg7577
  • Ancestors Limit and Selectively Deleting Some Ancestors: There is a maximum limit of 50 ancestors. Due to limited slots you may not want your "test characters" to show up in that screen and might want to delete them. UrW does not provide a user interface to do so but there is an advanced tip from Plotinus that can be used to direct UrW to delete (overwrite) your chosen character next time some one dies: https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6414.msg18853#msg18853
  • Process to Boil Poisonous Mushrooms: Tips on poisonous mushroom processing by Saukko: https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=4658.0
  • Tips for Agriculture: If you are new to agriculture, here is a useful post by PALU: https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=4803.msg10261#msg10261
  • Animal with Very Low Carry Weight?: Unless you just discovered a genuine bug (unlikely), the most likely explanation is that it is not the carry weight but the NPC stack count limit that prevents you from loading more stuff on to the animal. NPCs can carry much less than the PlayerCharacter. For more info, see this thread: https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6505.0
  • Sleeping on Spruce Twigs: (Tip suggested by Bert Preast) Documented by the game devs in NEWS.TXT (in game directory). "(added as new feature, as of 3.70beta) Sleeping on spruce twigs now gives a little extra warmth and protection from the cold. It's simple and much used option in wilderness conditions especially during the wintertime. Sleeping on furs is still the most comfortable way to spend a cold night, but spruce twigs come as a good alternative. About half a dozen spruce twigs will provide enough insulation from the cold ground."
  • Post Spruce - a Simple Wilderness Condition Shelter: Documented by the game devs in NEWS.TXT (in game directory). (added as new feature, as of 3.70beta) Post spruce is a temporary shelter made by felling a spruce tree to lean against another, gives protection from the elements and is commonly used for spending a night in the wilderness. Build option is found under "Building options", and requires the same tools as felling young trees in general. There's also game encyclopedia [F1] entry about POST SPRUCE available.
  • Build Base Next to Rapids: It is a really good idea to set up your base on a rapids tile or where the water doesn't freeze over, this way you aren't always having to break the ice for water in winter. (Suggested by Bert Preast)
  • Armour Coverage Statistics Screen: While in game, press SHIFT+A to reach the Armour Coverage (& Warmth) Statistics screen. Find more information on the wiki, here: https://www.unrealworld.fi/wiki/index.php?title=Clothing (Tip suggested by Bert Preast)
  • How to Make Cordage From Fibre Plants (hemp/nettle/flax)?: See the game encyclopedia [F1] entry about TEXTILECRAFT, as suggested by the dev here: https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6873.msg21055#msg21055

Edit 20210624: Added #12 How Can You Get An Axe Early Game?.
Edit 20210629: Added #13 Character Creation Screen Tip & #14 Print Screen World Map Before Entering Game World.
Edit 20210701: Added #15 Ancestors Limit and Selectively Deleting Some Ancestors.
Edit 20210704: Added #16 Process to Boil Poisonous Mushrooms & #17 Tips for Agriculture.
Edit 20210715: Added #18 Animal with Very Low Carry Weight?. Shortened the thread title to: 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs'. Set this thread to Sticky to make it more visible at the top of subforum.
Edit 20210923: Modified #12 How Can You Get An Axe Early Game? and added the missing referenced forum thread link.
Edit 20210924: Added #19 Sleeping on Spruce Twigs.
Edit 20210924: Added #20 Post Spruce - a Simple Wilderness Condition Shelter.
Edit 20210924: Added #21 Build Base Next to Rapids.
Edit 20210924: A few style tweaks: No emboldened fonts outside entry titles. (better) Standardised capitalisation it entry titles. Removed placeholder (last) entry.
Edit 20210924: Added #22 Armour Coverage Statistics Screen.
Edit 20211003: Style improvement.
Edit 20230111: Added #23 How to Make Cordage From Fibre Plants (hemp/nettle/flax); and style improvement.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 08:37:37 PM by ineedcords »
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Bert Preast

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 12:51:38 AM »
I have spotted an error with your FAQ:

2. How to Sleep Warm in Winter - You have it backwards, with fewer furs you "Lay on the furs", with more you "Wrap yourself in furs".  Also spruce twigs can now insulate you from the worst of the groundfrost.

If I may also suggest some additions:

The game is traditionally permadeath, but there is a way to save scum ahem...  I mean archive a save in case of a bug.  Find the game directory, for Steam users usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\UnRealWorld  and you'll see a folder there with your character's name.  You can copy this to anywhere else before facing a bear possible situation where a bug may arise, then if you die shut down the game and copy the character folder back into the game directory.

It is a really, really good idea to set up your base on a rapids tile or where the sea doesn't freeze over.  This way you aren't always having to break the ice for water in winter.  Unless you're freezing or starving, always take the time to find a good spot before beginning building.  I like to find somewhere with water just outside the front door, but also space for a tanning table (you can build "floors and ceiling" outside your cabin if there are two adjacent walls or doors, this means you can tan skins without getting frostbites in winter - well, mostly!)and a cellar, preferably designed so the walls of the cabin block access to any of this unless you wade through water to get there.  Most predators won't wade through water, especially in winter. 

Another way to keep valuables safe from home intruders is to push (shift-P) the valuables onto the walls of your cabin.  Thieves can pick up your stuff, but only from the ground.  You can also use the push command to display antlers, crossed swords etc. on your walls once you are sufficiently set up to bother with cosmetics!

A persistence hunter needs to be fast and use javelins, while someone with speed less than 6 km/h when dressed for hunting should probably use a bow or stick to trapping.  Tracking skill is vital for persistence hunting - that is, chasing the prey down - and even a master tracker will still struggle to keep the trail.  Snow makes tracks much more visible, and you will need skis.  Some animals are designed for snow but many are not, and on skis you can run them down very quickly.  Winter also means you can dry the meat, which is the best way to preserve it.

The northern coast has a really harsh winter, there are days when even if you are wearing everything you own you you will not be able to go half an hour without being next to a fire without getting frostbite.  Stay in the south for milder climes.  I had played for years before I became aware there was a difference!

Something else I took quite a while to realise existed was the Shift-A screen, detailing warmth and armour ratings.  Also that making a general sacrifice after each kill is probably a good idea, even though nobody knows why.  That's religion for you!

Great FAQ, as a long time player I already knew most of it, but the ability to strafe move was a new one on me.  Every day a school day, cheers!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 12:57:26 AM by Bert Preast »

ineedcords

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 11:32:40 PM »
1) I have spotted an error with your FAQ: "2. How to Sleep Warm in Winter" <- You have it backwards, with fewer furs you "Lay on the furs", with more you "Wrap yourself in furs".
If I may also suggest some additions:
2) spruce twigs can now insulate you from the worst of the groundfrost.
3) The game is traditionally permadeath, but there is a way to save scum ahem...  I mean archive a save in case of a bug.  Find the game directory, for Steam users usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\UnRealWorld  and you'll see a folder there with your character's name.  You can copy this to anywhere else before facing a bear possible situation where a bug may arise, then if you die shut down the game and copy the character folder back into the game directory.
4) It is a really, really good idea to set up your base on a rapids tile or where the sea doesn't freeze over.  This way you aren't always having to break the ice for water in winter.  Unless you're freezing or starving, always take the time to find a good spot before beginning building.  I like to find somewhere with water just outside the front door, but also space for a tanning table (you can build "floors and ceiling" outside your cabin if there are two adjacent walls or doors, this means you can tan skins without getting frostbites in winter - well, mostly!)and a cellar, preferably designed so the walls of the cabin block access to any of this unless you wade through water to get there.  Most predators won't wade through water, especially in winter.
5) Another way to keep valuables safe from home intruders is to push (shift-P) the valuables onto the walls of your cabin.  Thieves can pick up your stuff, but only from the ground.  You can also use the push command to display antlers, crossed swords etc. on your walls once you are sufficiently set up to bother with cosmetics!
6) A persistence hunter needs to be fast and use javelins, while someone with speed less than 6 km/h when dressed for hunting should probably use a bow or stick to trapping.  Tracking skill is vital for persistence hunting - that is, chasing the prey down - and even a master tracker will still struggle to keep the trail.  Snow makes tracks much more visible, and you will need skis.  Some animals are designed for snow but many are not, and on skis you can run them down very quickly.  Winter also means you can dry the meat, which is the best way to preserve it.
7) The northern coast has a really harsh winter, there are days when even if you are wearing everything you own you you will not be able to go half an hour without being next to a fire without getting frostbite.  Stay in the south for milder climes.  I had played for years before I became aware there was a difference!
8 ) Something else I took quite a while to realise existed was the Shift-A screen, detailing warmth and armour ratings.  Also that making a general sacrifice after each kill is probably a good idea, even though nobody knows why.  That's religion for you!
Further to direct messages, once again, thank you for your valuable contributions. I find it easier to process in chunks so I've atomised your message into a numbered list.
I've added some of your suggestions, won't add some of them due to the reasons below, and will add others later when I get a chance.

#1 TODO: Hoping to test, verify and then correct my entry as soon as I get a chance.
#2 DONE: Added to the 1st post already (#19 in 1st post).
#3 TODO: Good idea to mention the external save possibility for those players who are not so computer savy and may not think of it (Regardless of how hardcore/good player one is, just because no write-to-hard-drive operation is 100% safe on commodity hardware, an interrupted write can ruin a savegame in rare circumstances).
#4 DONE: Added to the 1st post already (#21 in 1st post).
#5 SKIPPED: (A matter of taste but...) On my mind, due to the fact game enemy AI is incapable of countering this, it is (or should be) an illegal move. I won't add it to the 1st post but those interested would be able to find it in your message & use it anyway.
#6 SKIPPED: Probably those numbers as well as weapon type is experience-dependent (rather than hard facts which are true for all players). In my experience, a "walking-speed=1kmh & running-speed=2kmh" character can active hunt using blunt (non-ranged) hits only, so I won't add these numbers (example hunt: https://youtu.be/sJ7-HTL5yAQ?list=PLkr2bHghkM5pTsrymDDP4BFjUsKhvBnnu&t=713 )
#7 TODO: Hoping to test, verify and add as soon as I get a chance.
# 8 DONE: Added to the 1st post already (#22 in 1st post).

JP_Finn

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 11:58:13 PM »
I’ve experienced robbers pulling items from adjacent tiles. But I’ve not witnessed random woodsmen, traders pulling items.

Tom H

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 07:30:41 PM »
I’ve experienced robbers pulling items from adjacent tiles. But I’ve not witnessed random woodsmen, traders pulling items.

I mentioned in a post in the past that I'd found an NPC in the wilderness that had stacked 3 tree trunks, a pile of stones, and a rope, as though in preparation to build something, possibly a trap. He never finished what he'd begun.

ineedcords

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 08:42:58 PM »
Came here to report that the 1st post has been updated:   Added #23 How to Make Cordage From Fibre Plants (hemp/nettle/flax); and style improvement.

While here, the usual call:   if anyone has any tips & tricks, that appears to be useful to most/many players, please post here. Thanks very much in advance.