Topic: 3.70 beta 3 - randomly catching branches while rod fishing  (Read 4511 times)

Bert Preast

« on: October 02, 2021, 01:11:43 PM »
Every once in a while when rod fishing from the shore in rapids, I catch a branch.  The branches do not stack with my other branches, and I have caught them while fishing both successfully and unsuccessfully.  I am wondering if this is bug or feature, as a waterlogged old branch is fairly normal bycatch on my fishing trips in the real world!

I am running Windows 10 and URW 3.70 beta 3 via Steam, without mods.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 09:08:29 PM by Sami »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 02:06:10 PM »
It is a bug, not intended, and something we haven't heard of before. Quite interesting. Anyone else catching branches?
- Sami | UnReal World creator

koteko

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 09:10:24 PM »
Beautiful bug - it should be promoted to feature, if confirmed xD

plouf

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 11:57:00 AM »
Hello, my islander super fisher caught an entire tree trunk also in 3.70b3

I had just caught a trout in my camp at rapids and noticed my penalty went full red because of weight. But when I checked my inventory it was not an extremely oversized trout, but an actual tree trunk. It may have happened other times cause I remember dropping timber stuff that was in my inventory for no apparent reason.

I didnt take a screenshot but I still have the save and the log to prove I fished a tree.

Bert Preast

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 01:12:37 PM »
I was pretty sure that I caught a tree trunk one time too, but I didn't mention it as I was drunk and not wholly confident of my memories! 

It could be that it is possible to catch twigs and slender trunks too, then.  My experience so far has been that in 20 to 30 fishing trips I have caught 5 branches and one tree trunk, as well as the odd fish here and there  ;D

Plotinus

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 12:04:55 PM »
can you cook these branches? can you eat them? :)

Bert Preast

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 08:15:57 PM »
Just tested - mystery rapids fishbranches are not edible.  After picking up my teeth, I tried starting a fire with one  fishbranch, and two normal branches.  This worked as usual, so the fishbranches do seem to function as branches except that they won't stack with other branches.

I tested making an arrow and the fishbranch also worked for that.   I can't test it works as a splint as I have no suitable injuries, but I am guessing that it does.

koteko

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 08:46:06 PM »
This is such an URW thing, I love it so much