Topic: Ancient Savo : A new Enormous Elk game in the making  (Read 10593 times)

Erkka

« on: January 06, 2021, 04:35:25 PM »
Would you like to participate in the making of a new game by Enormous Elk?

The game is called Ancient Savo, and it is a peaceful simulation of a 1200 CE Finnish family who moves to live alone in the woods. Do slash and burn agriculture to grow crops. Hunt and fish. Try to survive hunger, cold, accidents and the scarcity or resources. And in case you accumulate some extra, go visit the annual market to barter for more and better tools. The timescale of the gameplay is weeks - you can see years rolling by, your children growing up, and forest re-taking abandoned fields. Instead of controlling a character you hover on a more abstract 'designer level', a bit like the old SimCity.

Estimated release: Autumn 2021, for PC, Mac and mobile devices

We run a small home-made crowdfunding campaign for January. Become a follower for free - join project Discord channel to read frequent development news. Or donate any sum to become a backer. Backers can participate in the discussion, and have an access to the early development-phase releases. The first development release is scheduled already for this January. (If or when you donate, remember to send Erkka a message at Discord, so that we can connect a donation with your Discord user account!)

During the development phase we will have quick and simple graphics, but graphics and UI will be improved once the simulation and game mechanics are up and running.

For more info see the campaign page

UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

trowftd

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 05:23:56 PM »
Nice! Because of the exchange rates and the fact that paypal is not working in my beautiful country ::), I probably won't be able to donate but I'll definitely look forward to its release and there is a high chance that I'll buy it. :)

Good luck with the game and development I hope it all goes well and easy for you.

Night

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 06:24:02 PM »
Lot's of potential here, looking forward to seeing it progress. I can see the current design evolving several different ways, so it'll be interesting to see how you go about it :). Even a choice-based story line (or many) could work here and perform well.
URW Character Menu - Cheating menu by a player, for the players.
URW Character Designer - Design your characters sprite!

ineedcords

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 10:54:08 PM »
Wish you good luck with the project! Will keep an eye out for the first alpha/beta :)
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Dynggyldai

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 03:12:58 PM »
Sounds like fun! Isn't the Kaumo in UrW based on Savo?

Erkka

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 03:59:52 PM »
Sounds like fun! Isn't the Kaumo in UrW based on Savo?

I think Kaumo is more like Kainuu. But you are close - Kiesse is inspired by real world Savo.

For a long time I was unsure if I'd like to set this new game in the world of UnReal World. In which case the title might have been "Kiesse pioneers" or something.
But at some point I decided to use the real world name Savo, maybe making the game easier to approach for those who haven't been playing lot of UrW. And also to allow a bit more freedom in another way - yes, I'm somewhat restricted with the historical facts, but then also if there will be a need to do something differently than in UrW world, I can do that.

Anyway, the differences won't be that great. It is around 1200 CE pagan Finland.

Ps. And since we are here, let me mention that the very first early development test version is already available for the project backers. No, it isn't anything like a game yet. But I thought it would be nice to let the backers have a taste of the bare minimum, and then see how the development goes from that zero level, week by week.
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

Dark Art

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 08:20:54 PM »
I mean no offense Erkka, but I always thought that using real names for tribes in URW would've been much better choice. I understand why you guys chose to go the way you did, but still... People tend to forget history and educating the world, even in a game environment, is absolutely a good thing. We have enough (perhaps too much) fantastical goblins in our lives, while our own true history and folklore are being either forgotten, or twisted to the point of being completely unrecognizable. So for what's it worth - thank you for telling us a bit about history of your ancestors. I always thought that real historical evens can be (and often were) much more dramatic and fascinating than any sci-fi or fantasy story. We need more of that.

Mati256

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 02:54:59 AM »
Really interesting concept. I will try to donate this coming week.

Erkka

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 06:04:09 PM »
Just a mid-campaign visibility boost =)

The campaign start has been fine, and we see steadily growing content at the project Discord channels. There's already a download available for the project backers; at this point it is not so much, but provides an insight for those who wish to witness the development as it happens.

If you are not sure if you wish or can donate to become a backer, it won't hurt to join the Discord server to become a Follower. For Followers can become Backers later on, even after the campaign is over (31st of January).

For more info see the campaign page

rudy

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 06:09:01 PM »
it won't hurt to join the Discord server to become a Follower.
Joined the discord, but there's no way for me to post anywhere. Is there something I need to do to "become a Follower"?

Erkka

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 06:11:03 PM »
Joined the discord, but there's no way for me to post anywhere. Is there something I need to do to "become a Follower"?

Joining the Discord is essentially the same as becoming a Follower - ie. you can read the posts to follow the development. To gain write rights one needs to become a Backer. I'm sorry if my explanation has been too vague!

rudy

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 07:57:09 PM »
What kind of modding support do you envision this eventually having? Because I wish you luck either way, but good modding support will be the major factor in my decision to back/purchase this.

Erkka

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 08:05:29 PM »
At Discord on channel "Development" I posted on 7th of January:

"
5. A lot of stuff (like UI texts, and terrain type information) are stored in XML-formatted text files. Easy to localize. Easy to mod. Although, the early development versions won't support reading data from custom files, so the full modding potential will be unlocked later on.
"

If possible, I try to put almost everything (tasks, actions, accidents etc) in XML files so that the project could double as an "homesteading-survival-game-engine". But in case some of the modding features seem to slow to implement, that is something I might consider sacrificing for the sake of having the project finished in a reasonable time.

So, if unsure, the safest option is just to calmly follow the development news on Discord, and then make a decision to donate if it really starts to feel like that. Or just wait until the project reaches early-access stage.

Ezezaguna

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 06:51:47 PM »
Awesome. I will follow the development news with great enthusiasm  ;D

Erkka

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 03:09:39 PM »
Hello, again  :D

Just a humble notice that it is the last weekend of the crowdfunding campaign. After 31st of January new followers can't join the project Discord, and "donate to become a backer"-option won't be promoted in public. So, in case you are curious about this project but haven't already joined the Discord, now is the time to do so.

Followers (ie. those who have joined the Discord, but haven't placed a donation) can upgrade to backer status at any time, even when the official campaign time is over. So if you'd wish to donate but can't do it in January, then just join the Discord and do the donate stuff when the time is right for you.

What we have now is a small world where you can scroll around, slash and burn patches of forest, sow rye, barley or turnip, watch your fields grow and ripen, and collect the harvest. And more features get added on weekly basis.

anything