Topic: Please make it possible to quickly shorten tying equipment  (Read 6120 times)

ineedcords

« on: December 02, 2020, 11:32:11 AM »
Sami,

Could you please add a single Tying Equipment menu option to cut down (a single chosen tying equipment) to 1 feet pieces?

Justification: I realise that in programming you cannot grant each user their individual size-wish as there would be as many opinions as there are people.
Having said that, 1 feet is objectively the best size for any tying equipment in Unreal World.
1 feet chunks is the ultimate choice as it is the only size that will guarantee that a character can do 100% of tying-equipment-related tasks and waste no tying equipment at the end of task. There is no other size that fits all tasks and wastes nothing at the same time.

There is a side benefit (in my eyes) that it will only take one menu-entry per tying-equipment-material-and-quality-combo.
e.g.: it would read "87 1-feet bitch-bark ropes"
rather than e.g. 8 10-feet bitch-bark ropes + 1 5-feet, 2 1-feet etc.
I acknowledge that this may not be a good thing for other people as others might prefer cutting down everything as chunks of 5 feet or n feet or a combination of various sizes.

As we have all our tastes/styles/(some of us have our OCD as well) we can all argue about what is perceived "best" way of organising one's tying equipment but we cannot argue about the fact 1 feet wastes nothing. For this objective reason I am hoping you will add a menu option to quickly cut down a chosen tying-equipment entry to 1-feet chunks.
Currently in early summer, when batch producing bitch bark ropes, I am spending a considerable amount of real life time to cut down everything manually.

(Note: there was an earlier thread on this with your response but it's 120+ days old and forums advising to create a new thread.
here is the old one: https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5233.msg12156#msg12156 )

Thanks for this great game!

Edit #1: added extra wording for clarification
Edit #2: added the missing word "no" that negates the sentence, as in "can do 100% of tying-equipment-related tasks and waste NO tying equipment at the end of task"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 10:20:10 PM by ineedcords »
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Buoidda

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 05:06:27 PM »
...or to lengths of chosen feet, alternatively.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 01:47:52 AM »
Wouldn’t a crafting recipe with 1’ output do exactly this?

(Personally I Like to make my cords long and cut lengths as needed. Sauna wall, my drying spot has 12 loops of 25’ cords for drying. In summer, I move couple lengths inside the sauna for smoking. In good winter: get to  dry enough meat to last over a year, bunch bartered and given to villages)

Buoidda

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 11:44:57 AM »
Good idea @JP_Finn. Didn't even cross my mid.  :P

@ineedcords You can mod it yourself by creating diy_ineedcords.txt like below and saving it in the Urw game folder:

Code: [Select]
[SUBMENU_START:tying equipment]

.Short cords. (15) "Cord" [effort:1] [phys:hands,one-armed] *COMMON* [patch:5]  /30/ %50% |-2|
{Cloth} #0.5# [remove] [patchwise]
{Knife}
[NAME:Cord]
[LENGTH:1]
[WEIGHT:0.033]

.Short leather ropes. (15) "Leather rope" [effort:1] [phys:arms,one-armed] *COMMON*  [assist:1] /60/ %50% |-1| [patch:5]
{Leather} #1# [remove] [patchwise]
{Knife}
{Water} #1# [remove] [patchwise]
[NAME:Leather rope]
[WEIGHT:0.066]

.Short birch-bark ropes. (15) "Birch-bark rope" [effort:1] [phys:arms,one-armed]  [assist:1] *CARPENTRY* /2h/ %30%  |-1| [patch:3]
{Birch-bark strip}   =80=    [remove] [patchwise]
{Knife} <Small knife>                   
[NAME:Birch-bark rope]

[SUBMENU_END:tying equipment]

Spoiler: The needed edits highlighted • show

.Short birch-bark rope. (15) "Birch-bark rope" [effort:1] [phys:arms,one-armed]  [assist:1]   *CARPENTRY*      /2h/   %30%  |-1| [patch:3]
{Birch-bark strip}   =80=    [remove] [patchwise]
{Knife} <Small knife>                   
[NAME:Birch-bark rope]

Of course there was a typo. Now tested and working. Weights corrected.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 03:48:18 PM by Buoidda »

ineedcords

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 03:47:44 PM »
<snip>
@ineedcords You can mod it yourself by creating diy_ineedcords.txt like below and saving it in the Urw game folder:
<snip>
Thank you, I'll try this as soon as I can. Meanwhile I still think this should be in the core game for all users hopefully it'll get implemented some time.

ineedcords

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 10:16:39 PM »
<snip>
<snip>
Just tested this (corrected) code. It indeed works, no more splitting hair to split tying equipment as it produces the rope in 1-feet chunks in the first place!
Thank you, @Buoidda!

This mod has a side benefit: without this mod, when making a 15ft birch-bark rope, the outcome is binary i.e.: a good (decent) or a bad (inferior) product comes out of the effort.
With this mod, at first run I have got: 10 decent, 4 inferior, 1 poor 1-feet birch bark rope; my initial thought is it's better this way although need to test a little bit more to be sure.

Edit: Just a note for Sami, I still think this original suggestion -above- to allow quickly splitting in bulk or this alternative approach by Buoidda (adding an option to create the tying equipment in 1-feet chunks from the get go - exactly as this mod above does) should be in the core game.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 10:20:55 PM by ineedcords »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 02:55:06 PM »
Could you please add a single Tying Equipment menu option to cut down (a single chosen tying equipment) to 1 feet pieces?

1 feet chunks is the ultimate choice as it is the only size that will guarantee that a character can do 100% of tying-equipment-related tasks and waste no tying equipment at the end of task. There is no other size that fits all tasks and wastes nothing at the same time.

There is a side benefit (in my eyes) that it will only take one menu-entry per tying-equipment-material-and-quality-combo.
e.g.: it would read "87 1-feet bitch-bark ropes"
rather than e.g. 8 10-feet bitch-bark ropes + 1 5-feet, 2 1-feet etc.
I acknowledge that this may not be a good thing for other people as others might prefer cutting down everything as chunks of 5 feet or n feet or a combination of various sizes.

This thread was replied with a modding snippet which gets the thing done. We might consider adding “cut this number of this long pieces” at some point, but it doesn't feel urgent. At least there hasn't been too many mentions about thatg.
But surely, if people need hundreds and hundreds of short ropes at once for their playstyle it surely is burdensome to come up with. However, from role-playing perspective adventurers always carrying 1 feet cordage seems silly and not appealing for my eyes at least. And with metric system in use (future option) the inventory wouldn't even be that tidy: “87 0.3 meter ropes” etc.
After all, I'm still thinking of an addition for automatic length cutting upon tasks, though it's a bit costly thing to do.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

paulkorotoon

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 11:19:14 PM »
@Buoidda thanks a lot, that's an amazing code! Saved it. My first DIY mod btw, hehe.

Only replaced short with 1ft to avoid the text break interface border (running UrW in 800x600 borderless window).

Spoiler: show

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:47:25 PM by paulkorotoon »
Biggest Russian UrW fan