Topic: What's Going On In Your Unreal World?  (Read 197848 times)

Lurcolm1

• Not freezing to death is achieved by murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2018, 01:23:10 AM »
I thought it would be a fun idea to try and fight the robbers in "There Be Robbers!"

I decided to commit to this guy, crap and all. This is gonna be "Fun"

favomancer

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2018, 06:04:11 AM »
I started a game with the There Be Robbers scenario, but instead of attacking me the robbers wandered into a Driikiläiset village and started a small-scale raid, so Eeva Kaumolaisen, my character, ran into the fray smacking people with a hand axe.

The proceeds let me buy fishing nets, a paddle and cordage for a raft, so she's living quite well on her riverside steadding, with a sauna and smokinghouse built, and a cabin in the works. Now if only I knew what those mushrooms did...

koteko

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »
Started a new Sarto character in winter, and got a free cow. A bear breaks the fence and kills my cow, but I manage to kill him despite being poorly equipped. I dry the meat, skin the good hides, finish building a small cabin and go to a village. I'm robbed by thieves and this time I give them the stuff. Quite a setback!

I manage to buy back the essentials with the hides (winter bear is valuable), and complete a birds thief quest (first time - I shouldn't have been too honest at the end, I think :P). Went back to the cabin and a lynx has been harassing my traps and stealing birds from them, even from a small deadfall traps. Spend some time trying to chase it, but fail.

I setup a proper deadfall trap, using the hare's paw charm (reward from birds thief quest) and a hazel cut, and move onto the froken laze. A few hours pass, and there is the lynx.

Now winter is almost over and am ready to plough some fields. An interesting run :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 02:09:16 PM by koteko »

Moonlight

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2018, 11:08:28 AM »
Just checked map and found the area near my settlement turned purple! I wandered around that area and found a njerpez war camp. This is interesting because the camp is not the camp of the run away slave scenario. This made my Koivulainen man worried and now he is preparing to raid the camp.

Shadowdweller

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2018, 12:58:42 PM »
Have an islander going with a cabin built on a good-sized island.  Journeyed to Driik territory early on to trade my rough woodsman's axe and some meat for a far more serviceable masterwork handaxe and a fishing rod.  My hideworking skill is JUST getting high enough to be able to tan saleable (harsh) furs.

Anyhow, have had a couple Njerpez sightings on my islands, that I've mostly ignored.  My character isn't that much of a fighter - mediocre or at least unreliable combat skills, except for a 60% bow, no armor other than furs, 50% dodge, and mainly a shortbow / fine club for armament.  One of the Njerpez kept wandering annoyingly close to the trap line I've been trying to build around a small local lake.  So - perhaps unwisely - I decided to end him.   Enemy armored with several pieces of lamellar and holding a sizeable woodsman's axe.  I should probably have enlisted help but was too lazy.  Instead I tried sneaking around the woods trying to pepper him with arrows.  His armor kept him up for quite a few shots, but was able to back out of sight repeatedly and sneak around to maintain distance.  Good to have that guy gone.

Shrimp

« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2018, 03:01:49 PM »
There are some things interesting happening in my game right now.

Started as Kaumo, I was blessed with a lucky roll so I have nearly perfect stats. Started in the no man's land in the middle of Kaumo and Remi with hurt, helpless and afraid start in spring. I wouldn't have survived if the tutorial didn't gave me a fishing rod.

Anyways, after getting back on my feet and getting stuff I went to Remi land to trade for tools, dogs and a bull. The bull died after a wolf raided my camp, luckily I killed the wolf. The dogs are still around but they have received a lot of abuse while hunting, one even started bleeding but luckily it didn't die. With the tools, I started building a cabin in southern Kaumo, and while I was at it one day I found day old human tracks steps away from my building site. After tracking it down turns out there was a Njerpez literally in the square diagonal of my cabin, i'm very lucky he didn't attack me while I was working or sleeping and strangely enough my dogs didn't bark at all. I swiftly got rid of him.

After some time after that I noticed a sudden disappearance in Kaumo cultural territory, so I decided to investigate. While I was at it I was ambushed by vagabond robbers. thankfully, it was in the middle of the woods and the visibility was poor so I did the most sensible thing in the moment: Once the map loaded I turned around and ran until i got 100% exhaustion and I could exit to the overworld. I was not sure i could take them so I just went safe. My dogs were left behind but after some flanking in the overworld I recovered them.

My playthrough has been very lucky. Lady luck certainly gave me her blessing.

Ara D.

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2018, 02:04:57 AM »
I love this game's program. My active hunter dropped in on a riendeer herd but there was a glutton too oh well sic the dogs on a deer and the hunt is on. Latter I hear barking to the north and a bawl of pain to the west? So I head to the west. To my surprise I find the glutton attacking the deer. I've seen small prey getting taken by birds of prey but this the first time I've seen big prey attacked. I love this games details

werepacman

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2018, 10:00:16 PM »
I was checking trap fence with two of my dogs near the ford. I found fresh elk tracks leading to frozen lake.
I followed the tracks there were holes in the ice. Finally I found dead bull elk lying drown in the water.

This was very realistic!

Tom H

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2018, 03:40:32 AM »
After at least 100 hours of play, I've run through over a dozen adventurers who, almost without exception, died from MY decisions. I learned some bad lessons early on. Small female bears/with cub leave one with the mistaken impression that bears are not TOO bad. Papa Bear will correct that fallacy. While the first five Njerpez may seem to be relatively soft, the sixth has uncanny skills with just his knife. Foxes can run on thin ice. Don't follow them. Robbers have a lot of friends.

My dead Father apparently took me hunting while barely clothed. Perhaps he traded most of my clothes for the Fine Kaumo spear and Fine knife? Anyway, with those, and a handaxe,  I set out.

So, the first year, mid-summer, on a new start, determined to avoid previous mistakes. Settled next to rapids on a long river. After many futile weeks of hunting just to watch my javelins run away in some wounded deer or elk, I stopped trying. It would soon be too damp to dry meat, anyway. No meat is drying, at all!

The plan was to build a cabin/smokehouse, then to trap and smoke what I could trap. I'd snare some birds, kill squirrels with rocks, and fish for daily food. Having completed building I FINALLY lucked out and killed a deer. I then wasted 180+ cuts after learning there were a few building flaws in my cabin. By the time I fixed them, the meat was spoiled. Well, another lesson learned- TEST your smokehouse, first.

Built a trap fence, nothing trapped so far. Built a shorter one. Ditto. Started building a trap fence around a small lake.

Bumped into my first Njerpez. Seen robbers once and avoided them, likewise bears. But, by this point, though, I was despairing of any success, so, I did not run. Killed him, taking 26% injury. Got his spear and some very damaged lamellar. But, the spear was the start of a good run of luck. Traded that and his iron helm for better tools. Found a quest treasure and with that and the Njerp loot, bartered for Master woodsman, hand, and splitting axes, a 'Perfect' shovel, a Fine Fishing rod, a pot, a Fine Carving ax, Master Longbow, nets, a dog, all the things I'd drooled over before.

On the way back from hiring my first companion, I found I'd finally trapped a reindeer. Huzzah!

So, I'm still working that small lake's fence, not even 1/4 completed yet. Just started the Advanced missions line. I used my rewards to improve Cooking, Carpentry, and Hideworking. ALL I have to do is avoid stupid decisions now...fingers crossed!

Tom H

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2018, 04:01:28 AM »
Woohoo! I've survived winter! I'll have to wait a few weeks, yet, to start my island hideaway, although a lot of logs are already cut there. Once the ice is completely thawed, I'll return and make a new, more secure, homestead. The only downside is that there has been a lot of Njerp when I visit the area. Several are baiting my bear deadfalls...heh.

I've lost, and replaced, two dogs, one to a Njerp, one to a wolf. All my Companions have lived to return home. Lots of meat stored, lots of Njerp loot that I'd love to trade for some better tools/weapons. Sadly, many of the neighboring villages are truly poor. Even the Foreign Traders, who are hard enough to find, often have little of use to me. I've found myself trading for silver and copper goods, just to lighten my load.

Overall, it was a very safe winter. Never a hint of frostburn, a single deer stumbled into my defense traps, and nothing else even seen nearby. My trap fence, only an hour away, provided numerous elk, several rabbits gave up their furs there, even one fox! Spotted several bears across the rapids and harvested two large and a cub. One had a fine winter coat. A single wolf fell afoul of a deadfall. Even his harsh fur got me 10 Fine arrows.

It's a great beginning!

tedomedo

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2018, 12:25:19 PM »
I'm building my new settlement on rapids beach. With nets i get a lot of trouts and salmons. I have in chest 10 salmons (shown as one thing), this is 90 lbs. I will smoke them. This is easier food "shop" than hunting.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 12:18:37 AM by tedomedo »

Edico

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2018, 04:21:58 PM »
So I probably went a little overboard with winter fishing.  I got about 150 dried trout and 120 dried salmon.  Then I was able to catch a big bear (260 dried cuts) and two elks (350 dried cuts.)  I don't think I'll go hungry for a while.

tedomedo

« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2018, 09:15:00 AM »
I have fence around borders of local terrain where i have house. I have trap pits with sharp stakes in every 8th tile. Why i'm postin this? Because i got 10 reindeers!!! I'm tired of hideworking and drying meat (yes it's winter), i have over 1000 meat. I have to make cords. An update suggestion: add coffee, alcohol and cigarettes to get some energy :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 06:18:58 PM by tedomedo »

Tom H

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2018, 12:54:39 PM »
Yesterday, I was going to blunt strike a trapped deer. I clicked the WRONG direction and pole-axed my bull! Fortunately, he got up despite the SKULL FRACTURE he was suffering.

Today, I got confused while looking at one of my dogs to see if he was carrying the RAFT I thought I had loaded on my bull. For some reason, I instead shot him with my bow! My other two dogs, concluding that there was an enemy in our midst, attacked and killed the poor, trusting, animal.

So, on the return trip, I carried back a hare that couldn't resist a turnip, a deer I panicked into rushing onto thin ice, to break through and drown, and the ragged remains of the dog that deserved a better end...heh.

Tom H

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2018, 05:58:34 PM »
I'm into my 2nd winter now. Last winter my trap fence was awesome! That and my smaller traps set at a small lake resulted in 11 elk and deer, 3 foxes, a hare, and numerous birds. Perhaps not strangely, since winter broke, all that area has yielded is a pair of foxes. From the 3 successful bear deadfalls elsewhere from that winter, all I've gotten since is one wolf and one elk. That's over the whole spring/autumn period. I know the Gods are not unhappy with me, so, where did my good fortune go?

I farmed a small 4x10 area that yielded about 500 turnips (had other things planted late season but I neglected them and all withered), harvested about 2K of lake reeds, gathered a hundred or so of about a dozen useful plants, some used for the several wounds I've encountered.

Anyway, I built a new settlement with a good-sized cabin and a barn, but I'm not using it yet. It's on a small island but I've built no defenses yet. I've traveled through this winter to all but one clan area, scouting and trading. Three dogs and the same small bull still accompany me, though all the dogs are replacements for their originals...bah!

I have enough food now to last a year even if I had no other hunting successes. Think I'll finally build that sauna now...lol. Time to relax!