Topic: Pack removal  (Read 3437 times)

Ara D.

« on: October 22, 2020, 06:14:04 PM »
I so I spotted a wolf pack in small stand of spruce mires surrounded by pine mire. I gather enough material for 4 big deadfall traps and go about 5 squares away from where I last saw them and start to assemble traps. I get one built and working on a second trap when the pack appears. My intention was to trap multiple wolves. However I bait my trap and run away. The wolves acted hungry and interested in my bulls. My questions are if you spotted the wolves how would you go about targeting the pack. And how would you handle the  the wolves showing up before your ready

PALU

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 06:49:17 PM »
Wolf packs are too dangerous, so I'd stay away from them. If there was an easy opportunity to attack them from a craft I might do so, but otherwise I give wolves and bears a wide berth.

Again, I might consider building a trap just on a lake shore that would allow me to escape on a punt/raft if they show up earlier than desired (and, of course, bring a bow).

paulkorotoon

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 06:58:46 PM »
Running away and setting more traps here and there seems to me the best option, unless you've got a pack of big dogs (although it's still dangerous, I guess). If you worry that this wolf pack may sooner or later come to your homestead and kill the livestock, maybe there's a reason to hire a couple dudes and hunt the wolves first. Not sure about this though, never tried.

Btw, I've cathed a wolf in a trap pit once. Going to encircle my pens with pits as soon as snow thaws.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 07:22:52 PM by paulkorotoon »
Biggest Russian UrW fan

JP_Finn

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 07:57:41 PM »
IF you have to fight a wolf pack, try to pick a spot where all 3 “out of sight” tiles to your back are inaccessible: trees, boulders, cave wall, log wall. Failure to do so will end up in one or few wolves circling behind you and tearing your neck to shreds.
Even better if you can find a “cul-de-sac” spot with only a single tile access to.

Ara D.

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 08:21:37 PM »
Ya exact reasons I gathered the trap materials beforehand the only thing I think I could have done differently would have been to not bait the one trap and come back later to finish. As it stands I have one trapped and 3to4 free. oddly throwing things, rocks, generally causes them to flee, albeit temporarily. Maybe set some traps two tiles away, then circle to the opposite side and try and scatter them to the traps

PALU

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 11:39:10 PM »
Fires are supposed to be scary to animals, so if you can manage to set up some in between you and the pack, with the set trap on the pack side,you might be able to gain time to set the other traps and slip away. Note that I haven't tried to scare animals with fire.

Ara D.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 02:56:32 AM »
Well I was I bit surprised that pack moved the two tiles down while I was setting my next traps I gambled and ignored the wolves while I finished the two deadfalls. Killed the wolf from the original trap reset and build another dead fall. One down at least 4 to go I see them hanging out a tile away from my south traps. So we will see.

Ara D.

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 01:19:19 AM »
They just ransacked the near by village. Killed 5 cows 3 villagers, and about ripped off my right arm as I rushed to help. Ambushed me from the side of small ridge. Villagers killed two. Also unless I'm missing it companions can skin animals but they can't independently tan said hides, and neither can I do so one handed. Sadness at loosing two wolf hides

anything