Topic: Green squares in sprites on MacOS  (Read 5003 times)

Pepinopino

« on: February 17, 2020, 03:46:17 PM »
I've played UrW on a pc and this problem has never occurred. Now I´m playing on a Mac, and both vanilla and modded version are presenting this problem with sprites. My character's one is OK, but when I get into a village, every npc sprite has a green square (even their foot tracks...). Is there any solution to this problem?

link to te image: http://imgfz.com/i/ONRxImk.png
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 06:52:57 PM by Sami »

Night

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 03:48:48 PM »
Looks to be an issue with the gfx files background color not getting set to transparent when read.
URW Character Menu - Cheating menu by a player, for the players.
URW Character Designer - Design your characters sprite!

Pepinopino

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 05:57:03 PM »
And how can it be fixed? I've reinstalled it many times but still happens the same

StefanPravda

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 07:01:33 PM »
And how can it be fixed? I've reinstalled it many times but still happens the same
Get a Windows PC :P Joking aside, try to see if you can run the game on Wine on your Mac.

Pepinopino

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 11:19:14 PM »
Already tried but still unable to make it work properly

StefanPravda

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 11:21:39 PM »
Already tried but still unable to make it work properly
Identify the background and edit it in Photoshop?

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 02:53:06 PM »
I've played UrW on a pc and this problem has never occurred. Now I´m playing on a Mac, and both vanilla and modded version are presenting this problem with sprites. My character's one is OK, but when I get into a village, every npc sprite has a green square (even their foot tracks...). Is there any solution to this problem?

link to te image: http://imgfz.com/i/ONRxImk.png

What's your Mac OSX version?

For some reason background pixel value is read wrong in case of this particular color.
Haven't heard about this previously, so either OS or graphical interface related glitch. Or maybe some weird surface byte depth interpretation issue within SDL2.

You can work it out by manually changing background color for all the affected tiles but that's a lot of work, AND naturally we want to find a solution to make it work.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 07:03:19 AM »
I only have the issue if I try to use Jaredonian's graphics pack on 10.13.6 (High Sierra).
Vanilla 3.62 has no issues of the background color processed transparent/displayed correctly.

Edit: I tried turning on the "old hardware mode" to see if SW rendering would do any difference, the green/teal overlays are still there. But every text looked like lego blocks...

Edit2: it can’t be the background color either, as npc-eadv (vanilla) has identical RGB with  Jaredonian’s pc-male(northern tribe) background...
Might(must?) be something in the graphics engine / how SDL processing is done on Mac..?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 07:56:04 PM by JP_Finn »

PALU

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 08:11:06 PM »
The Jaredonian set isn't part of the vanilla UrW game, so the issues with that set should be addressed to the mod maker. As far as I understand, the Mac uses some layer (not RGB) differently from other OS' and so gets grumpy if some layer (alpha channel?) doesn't follow its opinion on conventions (I have no idea whether Apple is right or wrong about standards), while others don't care.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 12:11:31 AM by PALU »

Privateer

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 08:32:19 PM »
As described above it's a transparency thing with apple.
Get an image editor which will allow you to set the backgrounds to a transparency that your pc/device/OS will understand and edit the images that have issue.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 02:29:44 AM »
@PALU, @Privateer; that was it. I opened the images in Preview*, then bulk exported them as .png with Alpha deactivated.

PALU, @Pepinopino reported the issue on his Mac on Feb 17th 2020. With Vanilla and modded versions both, that's why replied to this bug report. Hopefully it won't be a big issue for Sami&Erkka to disable the Alpha channel when packaging Mac releases.

Thank you!

*Mac isn't great for certain things, but it comes with bunch of handy tools/utilities.