Topic: [3.61, Windows] Mod file reading, minor bug  (Read 6767 times)

Night

« on: February 01, 2020, 11:00:14 AM »
When mod files are read, partial cropping of the name occurs when using [] in the name.

Example:
[NAME:[New container]]

Result:
http://prntscr.com/qvzg6q

Not really an essential fix as ill just use another naming convention, but I thought I'd mention it.
URW Character Menu - Cheating menu by a player, for the players.
URW Character Designer - Design your characters sprite!

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 08:12:03 PM »
When mod files are read, partial cropping of the name occurs when using [] in the name.

Example:

Some special characters cause interesting 'issues' with the game.. generally because people do things that the game 'tries' to deal with (which I've done a time or two).
For your example: [NAME:
  is the tag and the first ']' in your naming is interpreted as the close bracket of the tag. The second open '[' bracket is just treated as text.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 11:33:25 AM »

Example:

Result:

Not really an essential fix as ill just use another naming convention, but I thought I'd mention it.

That's not a valid item name. It needs to be letters only.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Night

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 01:18:12 PM »

Example:

Result:

This should be specified somewhere on actual usable characters, as I am able to use () within the name, and probably other characters. I guess this really just depends on the complexity of the games interpreter for mod files, users could always give improper input given the interpreter.

The reason I'm including these characters is to mark the item in the games data as something that will be able to interact with my engine (I settled with, "(C)ItemName" as a way to detect what items are valid for the engine to use). There are other ways I could mark/read items for my engine, but the item's name seems to be the best to work with in terms of the current official modding syntax.

I noticed that the modding documentation is, perhaps lacking organization or completeness. Is there anyway we could acquire more precise documentation on syntax & data specifications? As such, I will continue to produce/experiment and document myself, but I know that you would ultimately have the best way of providing the particulars.

If its a lack of man power, maybe a new team member would be beneficial in providing better organization of the wiki & other areas that could use work, especially if it's someone as passionate and knowledgeable about the culture as you and Erkka are. I don't know how your business model looks, but it may be something to consider if its a plausible addition.
URW Character Menu - Cheating menu by a player, for the players.
URW Character Designer - Design your characters sprite!

StefanPravda

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 02:12:42 AM »
I am the coolest developer ever.
If its a lack of man power, maybe a new team member would be beneficial in providing better organization of the wiki & other areas that could use work
First, I am in no way offering myself to help, I don't have the time nor the skills. Second, maybe there are things that you could outsource Sami, I mean make some parts of the code open source, and then decide if anything which is developed by helping hands should go in the main game or not. Just a very small thought. 8)

PALU

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 09:39:56 AM »
"Outsourcing" typically means changing the role from developer/programmer to developer/administrator, where the administrator parts gradually pushes out programming and other good stuff, resulting in the loss of interest and abandonment of the project.

If Sami (or Erkka) had an interest in becoming a manager of a development team they'd probably gone that way a decade ago or so.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 04:52:25 PM »

This should be specified somewhere on actual usable characters, as I am able to use () within the name, and probably other characters. I guess this really just depends on the complexity of the games interpreter for mod files, users could always give improper input given the interpreter.

In all modding it's best to follow common sense and examples found in game content ie. if item names in the game seem to consist of letters it's best to continue the tradition.
Well, I don't even know exactly what special characters may pass the checks and what may not as the string handling is very complex internally.

I noticed that the modding documentation is, perhaps lacking organization or completeness. Is there anyway we could acquire more precise documentation on syntax & data specifications? As such, I will continue to produce/experiment and document myself, but I know that you would ultimately have the best way of providing the particulars.

If its a lack of man power, maybe a new team member would be beneficial in providing better organization of the wiki & other areas that could use work, especially if it's someone as passionate and knowledgeable about the culture as you and Erkka are. I don't know how your business model looks, but it may be something to consider if its a plausible addition.

It's lacking organization but I believe everything is documented in news.txt. Just search keyword "modding" and additions and changes are listed.
I believe UnReal World Wiki is quite nicely up to date with modding info, and those who are interested in organized modding guide can contribute there. It's community thing anyway, and marvelous things have happened and will happen there when the man and woman power of the players is directed in there.
It's often mistakenly thought that devs lead or keep the Wikis organized. No. It's yours, dear players. The first Wiki appeared completely without my supervision, and for the current one I only installed the required software to allow magic to happen.
- Sami | UnReal World creator