Topic: Questions about Intelligence & other stats  (Read 3290 times)

Dungeon Smash

« on: January 09, 2020, 09:21:40 PM »
I'm currently going to wrap up an Advanced Adventures gamecourse soon, and was going to go for stat increases.  I already know i want more Strength & Endurance, but I'm trying to decide what else I should get.

Basically, I'm wondering what Intelligence actually affects.  I assume it can bump you up to 2 stars or 3 stars for learning certain skills, but are there any other in-game effects?  Does it increase the likelihood of success with any skills? 

Similarly, what does Will do?  I assume it makes it harder to pass out or die - is there anything else?  Does it make you get cold slower, or decrease fatigue?  I'm just trying to decide if it's worth it to increase these more nebulous mental attributes, at the expense of something like Agility.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 09:27:20 PM »
Furthermore... is it actually even worth it to upgrade physical stats?  As I understand it, stat upgrades do not directly correlate to skill increases, right?  So you will still need to train each skill individually over time.  The only thing stat increase can POTENTIALLY do is increase the rate at which skill increases occur... so if you already have 3 or even 2 stars in each skill, it might not be worth it to upgrade stats at all?  EXCEPT in the cases of stats which have a direct influence on in-game attributes, such as Endurance (increases carry weight) and Speed (increases default movement speed).  Are there other stats which have a direct in-game influence?  For example, does Agility increase the likelihood of successful dodge or attack?  Strength, I assume, increases attack damage with melee weapons?  Will increases resistance to sleepiness and blood loss... are there others?

Acolyte

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 10:55:28 PM »
OK, so first off, the description of the stat increase may be incorrect. You used to get 5 points to distribute but now it's a flat +1 to all stats, so no worries about choosing, however increasing stats does not raise your skills nor your aptitude for them - that's set by you beginning stats alone.

The stat effects in game that I can think of: eyesight improves your ability to spot animals on the over map an things like that, hearing increases the distance one can hear animals running away, endurance is a big one - your encumbrance is determined weight carried divided by half your endurance. In addition, every time you take a hard hit, there is a chance to go unconscious determined by the severity of the hit and it's location vs your endurance. Dexterity determines if you drop something when struck in the arm or hand, agility determines whether you fall after being struck in the leg or foot (assuming it's not a disabling strike). Speed determines how fast you travel - useful for hunting game. Will determines whether you can stay awake when drop dead tired.

This is off the top of my head. There are probably more. My basic thoughts are that skills can be raised and spells can be learned during play, but attributes can only go up by finishing courses and so I always choose them over the other options.

- Shane

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 04:03:28 PM »
Ohh I see, I guess it's been a while since I upgraded my stats.  Thanks for the info.