Topic: [Fixed - persists in 3.60 beta-hotfix 2] Cord length overflow  (Read 3872 times)

Labtop 215

« on: September 20, 2019, 03:49:32 AM »
I managed to amass a small amount of cord, that I joined together in a small ball.  I eventually built it up to 2 strings of cord.  1 was 65 feet, and the other was 255 feet.  When I joined them together, I got a 10 lb string of cord that was 39 feet long.  I then split it off into 5 feet chunks and those 5 feet chunks are all 10 lbs.  I will email the save file too you.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:13:08 AM by Sami »

Labtop 215

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 10:40:51 PM »
To add to this issue, every time you cut a length of cord off, the shorter piece has the exact same weight as the original piece of cord.  If you join these 2 pieces of cord back together, then you combine the weight of both, which doubles the weight of the cord.  You should be able to replicate this with any character that has some cloths you can tear a cord off of.

1.  Tear a cord off of your cloths, or something else that counts as cloth.  You should have a 15 ft cord that weighs 0.5 lbs
2.  Shorten the cord by 1 ft.  You should then have a 14 ft cord that weighs 0.5 lbs, and a 1 ft cord that weighs 0.5 lbs.
3.  Join 1 cord to the other, you will now have a 15 ft cord that weighs 1 lbs.
4.  Shorten the cord by 1 ft.  You should then have a 14 cord that weighs 1lbs, and a 1 ft cord that weighs 1lbs.
5.  Join 1 cord to the other, you will now have a 15 ft cord that weighs 2 lbs.  - Thus demonstrating that the shorter piece of cord copies the weight of the cord that it was removed from.

In practice, this results in cords that are unusually heavy after only a few adjustments to the cordage you use.  Perhaps cord length should determine weight somehow, instead of just having a static value that the game is supposed to trust based on the honor system?  I also don't understand the need for a durability bar for cord, since it only seems to drop when the weight decreases, and not based on how the cord is used.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 10:53:48 PM by Labtop 215 »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 04:59:39 PM »
Got the save. Thanks. Investigating.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 11:12:46 AM »
Fixed. Persists in 3.60beta hotfix-2.

- It seems shortening tying equipment didn't modify their weight at all. Of course that should happen, and is now added.

- 255 feet is maximum the tying equipment length. (8 bit stuff..) Joining operations that exceed the max.length are no longer possible. This is what caused the cord length weirdness.

I also don't understand the need for a durability bar for cord, since it only seems to drop when the weight decreases, and not based on how the cord is used.

Yes, it's likely that we'll remove it to avoid confusion. It's in use only to indicate (at quick glance) that there's been usage to intact/standard tying equipment.
- Sami | UnReal World creator