Topic: Cannot get top menus to display  (Read 6533 times)

redbunyip

« on: April 24, 2019, 01:38:30 PM »
I am just looking at trying to mod, and I have been trying to create a top level menu  (on the same list as timbercraft and carpentry). I have tried to add one entry into menudef_additional.txt just using the suggestion listed, entering it after the last line with // and adding a blank line after it.

.my weapons -Z- *MAKE*

I changed the Y to a Z as there is already a 'Y' listed in the menu.

the menu item is not showing in the list and I cannot work out what I have done wrong.

I have also tried to save other mods with menus into my resource folder and still cannot get any of the menus to appear, eg Woodcarving by Wayfarer, Community mod BAC by Brygun and co, and the Massive menu by Privateer

I am using a mac, so I am saving them in the resources folder that is inside the UrW.app package.

If anyone can give me suggestions on what I can try or what I am doing wrong I would be very grateful.

Faatal

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 05:33:01 PM »
I haven't used URW on OSX in forever but this sounds like a problem with where you are putting the mods. If no mods are showing up you are probably just installing everything in the wrong directory. I'm sure someone could advise as to which directory they should be placed in, I don't remember. Also in the future it is easier to help you if you just paste in the entire code instead of just a segment and then describing the rest.
 :)

ModernNorseman

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 02:42:38 AM »
I am just looking at trying to mod, and I have been trying to create a top level menu  (on the same list as timbercraft and carpentry). I have tried to add one entry into menudef_additional.txt just using the suggestion listed, entering it after the last line with // and adding a blank line after it.

.my weapons -Z- *MAKE*

the menu item is not showing in the list and I cannot work out what I have done wrong.

I have also tried to save other mods with menus into my resource folder and still cannot get any of the menus to appear, eg Woodcarving by Wayfarer, Community mod BAC by Brygun and co, and the Massive menu by Privateer

I am using a mac, so I am saving them in the resources folder that is inside the UrW.app package.

If anyone can give me suggestions on what I can try or what I am doing wrong I would be very grateful.

I use mainly MAC for playing Unreal World. I can confirm that the Resources folder is the correct one for storing the files.

The thing that strikes me is if you have copy pasted your entrance:

".my weapons -Z- *MAKE*"

The statement lacks a period after my weapons, such as this:

".my weapons. -Z- *MAKE*"

Check if that could be the issue :)

Privateer

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 03:22:17 AM »

.my weapons -Z- *MAKE*

I use mainly MAC for playing Unreal World. I can confirm that the Resources folder is the correct one for storing the files.

The thing that strikes me is if you have copy pasted your entrance:

".my weapons -Z- *MAKE*"

The statement lacks a period after my weapons, such as this:

".my weapons. -Z- *MAKE*"

Check if that could be the issue :)
This looks like a likely fix.. though why other mods menu files are not working makes me wonder about location.
Unfortunately my mouse has always had two buttons.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

redbunyip

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 06:09:20 AM »
Thank you ModernNorseman and Privateer,

I have added the period after the myweapons as below (copy & paste again) but the menu item is still not displayed in the main menu list

.my weapons.       -Z-   *MAKE*

I have removed anything else in the menudef_additional.txt file (all the commented out lines)
and removed any other menudef files in case there is some sort of conflict.
I closed out of unrealworld and reopened then created a new character and the menu is still not displayed.

I can get the cookery and carpentry items from other mods to be displayed in the secondary menus, but just not the extra items in the main menu.

Is there something I have to do to get the program to pick up the data? or am I looking in the wrong place for the menu item? I have attached a screenshot of the menu with the 'my weapons' line in menudef_additional.txt and then my Resources folder and what I have entered in the menudef file

Privateer

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 06:29:25 AM »
Thank you ModernNorseman and Privateer,

I have added the period after the myweapons as below (copy & paste again) but the menu item is still not displayed in the main menu list

.my weapons.       -Z-   *MAKE*

I have removed anything else in the menudef_additional.txt file (all the commented out lines)
and removed any other menudef files in case there is some sort of conflict.
I closed out of unrealworld and reopened then created a new character and the menu is still not displayed.

I can get the cookery and carpentry items from other mods to be displayed in the secondary menus, but just not the extra items in the main menu.

Is there something I have to do to get the program to pick up the data? or am I looking in the wrong place for the menu item? I have attached a screenshot of the menu with the 'my weapons' line in menudef_additional.txt and then my Resources folder and what I have entered in the menudef file

OK, we or at least I was having some terminology issue. The screen you are showing is the SKILLS screen, it can not be modified, The menus are on the (Shift+m) key combination. These and the cooking menus are what can be changed/added to and such.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

redbunyip

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 06:51:48 AM »
Thank you so much Privateer!! It was there all along, I'm glad computers don't have AI or it would have been yelling at me by now  :)
You can tell I have not been playing it for ages and had forgotten that keystroke.
It would probably also help if I look at *all* the keystrokes listed in the program as well and try them all out.
Thank you all for helping me out!

ModernNorseman

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 03:49:33 PM »
Thank you so much Privateer!! It was there all along, I'm glad computers don't have AI or it would have been yelling at me by now  :)
You can tell I have not been playing it for ages and had forgotten that keystroke.
It would probably also help if I look at *all* the keystrokes listed in the program as well and try them all out.
Thank you all for helping me out!

Good it worked out! Yeah it takes some time to get used to, but all the keys will soon be memorized in the fingers :)