Topic: [not a bug] Not all animals available for sale  (Read 6835 times)

Saiko Kila

« on: February 06, 2019, 12:46:14 PM »
It happens sometimes in villages which have multiple kinds of animals, that some animals are not available in the buying options. Two examples I got:

First, village with nine reindeer.
Present:
small reindeer doe x2
reindeer doe x2
big reindeer doe x1
reindeer stag x3
big reindeer stag x1

Available for buying:
1. reindeer stag
2. reindeer doe
3. big reindeer stag
4. small reindeer doe

Big reindeer doe is missing from the list and cannot be bought.

Second, village with five bovines and three dogs:
Present:
small bull x1
bull x2
cow x1
small cow x1
small dog x2
female dog x1

Available for buying:
1. bull
2. cow
3. small bull
4. small cow
5. small dog

Here female dog is missing from the list and cannot be bought.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 11:25:26 AM by Sami »

Ara D.

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 03:06:39 PM »
I noticed this too but for me it's a limit on options if you buy out one of the other animals the missing one will appear.

Saiko Kila

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 07:57:45 AM »
I noticed this too but for me it's a limit on options if you buy out one of the other animals the missing one will appear.

When I thirst noticed it there were five options, so I thought it the limit, but the other village had five types of animals, and there were only four options. Yes, it is possible to unlock the remaining one by buying one of others, but I think it still is a bug, which prevents the last option to show up.

There is a list of animals, and before the ability to buy a size-varied animals was implemented, the animals were presented in a strict, hidden order. If the first available to buy animal was removed by the missing animal quest, and then you brought it back, it was pushed to the end of the list, and was available for sale last. I believe that a similar list is still used, and probably the last animal is not shown for some reason.

caius

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 10:32:27 PM »
This isn't a bug, but an intentional component of trading animals. 

See https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/urwforum/size-specific-animal-purchases-t8594.html

Also https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=816.msg1846#msg1846

Edit: Also, the animals for sale will also change as you buy the ones in the list.  For example, if you want to buy the big bull, but it isn't listed, then buying other animals on the list will eventually allow the big bull to be available for purchase.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:08:58 AM by caius »

Saiko Kila

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 11:22:38 AM »
This isn't a bug, but an intentional component of trading animals. 

See https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/urwforum/size-specific-animal-purchases-t8594.html

Also https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=816.msg1846#msg1846

Edit: Also, the animals for sale will also change as you buy the ones in the list.  For example, if you want to buy the big bull, but it isn't listed, then buying other animals on the list will eventually allow the big bull to be available for purchase.

When I read it I understood it differently - that the queue mechanism is still employed, but modified to allow skips, probably by using more queues. This looks like a bug turned into a feature more like.

From my test the missing animal is always unlocked after buying another one (no matter if the same species, if there are two) if it frees up a slot (so is the last of its kind or is in the same queue). It just work as previous queue system, except there are more of these queues. So from the roleplaying perspective the people are not not-willing-to-sell, they are just trying to sell you a bundle (wanna buy that big dog, buy a small one first). If they were not willing to sell the animal just wouldn't show up on the list at all.

However, I admit that since it looks like it is recognised, but "adapted" to be a feature of kind, it is unlikely to be changed.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 11:31:14 AM »
Not a bug, NPCs decide what they are willing to sell, from their currently available flock.

Moreover, in the next version villagers won't never sell all of their animals so even less availability is to be expected.

It's a common false assumption in many cases in UnReal World that we aim to make everything always available for the player character's needs. ;)
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Saiko Kila

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 09:20:44 PM »
Not a bug, NPCs decide what they are willing to sell, from their currently available flock.

Moreover, in the next version villagers won't never sell all of their animals so even less availability is to be expected.

It's a common false assumption in many cases in UnReal World that we aim to make everything always available for the player character's needs. ;)

OK, but what do you say about one village I met in the current version: nine reindeers of varied quality in a pen, and NONE for sale? The villagers say that they don't have animals here, the same as in villages which really don't have animals.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 09:29:27 AM »

OK, but what do you say about one village I met in the current version: nine reindeers of varied quality in a pen, and NONE for sale? The villagers say that they don't have animals here, the same as in villages which really don't have animals.

Now that sounds like a bug. (In the current version) some animals should be always available. If you encounter it again, can come up with a save, send/e-mail a report along with the save.
- Sami | UnReal World creator