Topic: [Not a bug] Fences deconstructing themselves?  (Read 4660 times)

Slyse

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Traveling in the Far North
    • View Profile
« on: March 26, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »
I just came back to my campsite that has fences set up for different animals. A fence that once contained about 10 sheep and another that contained about 10 pigs have now miraculously been deconstructed into a few sets of wooden stakes, and my animals have disappeared. I did spot a wild Bear in the area next to the fences.

Question is, has someone deconstructed my fences, has the bear destroyed them, or is this an actual bug?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 08:29:10 AM by Sami »

PALU

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 02:46:12 PM »
Bears can smash fences, so it's likely the bear did so, in which case it's working as intended. Bears are the only animals that can smash fences (Njerps can probably deconstruct them, but as they can simply climb fences they don't bother deconstructing them), but the other predators can bypass them either by running through them (lynx and smaller) or (I assume) jump over (wolf). I suspect wolves only jump fences to get at prey, and that both bears and wolves pass though (trapped) openings in the fence rather than go through the extra effort of dealing with the fence itself.

Slyse

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Traveling in the Far North
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 04:13:53 PM »
I suspected so, thanks for the clear-up! As you might guess, I'm now a few hundred bear cuts and a pelt richer, and surprisingly found most of my escaped animals wandering around the premises and was able to return them to their now-fixed pen, so ultimately there was no harm done.