Topic: [to 3.63 only] Community mod BAC: Smith, Cooking, Survival, Carpentry, Sewing  (Read 336744 times)

Brygun

« Reply #810 on: May 14, 2021, 06:56:35 AM »
When referencing BAC issues please include the filename or at least the menu like Barkware, Utility etc as it helps in my checking. The mod is huge and I don't have all the entries memorized.

>>>

How does the backpack in this mod work? Does it only contain food? Is the food stuck in it once put inside? Thanks!

Backpack is purely graphically and thus takes up a bit of weight. Its function is a role play item to explain how someone might carry dozens of handfuls of berries, an axe, several branches all while naked-and-afraid... or clothed.

AT least that's what I recall. Im having trouble finding it in the numerous BAC files.

So at some point the backpack became like any other general container. The vanilla code will only allow one type of thing like blueberries or even water to be put in.

Originally it was a roleplay/vanity item to explain how characters could carry things espically in some naked starts.

.Birch-bark backpack. "Birch-bark basket" [phys:hands,one-armed] /5h/ [noquality] [assist:2]
{*Birch-bark*}   #4#   [remove]
[CONT_CAPACITY:20]
{Knife}
[TILEGFX:bc-bbbpack]
// This is more ruck sack size now. Could be higher by volume but its not a great material strength.

>>>>

On the elk backstrap anything in 'blah blah' is purely display text so seems need a tweak for it being allowed to be on the ground.

Ive edited the display text to instead be '+use each <type> carcass once'

Note that is on the BAC honor system as there is no way for me to mark that a carcass as having had the backstrap removed without another slew of slot using recipes.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 07:03:12 AM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #811 on: May 14, 2021, 07:01:57 AM »
Update minor

The above text display on the backstrap recipes

halavus

« Reply #812 on: May 14, 2021, 08:32:00 AM »
Update minor

The above text display on the backstrap recipes

Thanks for the update!

When referencing BAC issues please include the filename or at least the menu like Barkware, Utility etc as it helps in my checking. The mod is huge and I don't have all the entries memorized.

I personally have a search window with the urw base directory opened all the time when playing, and I frequently end up searching the content of all your file to find the location of recipes.

Did you considered putting the mod on github?
It could help with the tedious maintenance work?

GrimmSpector

« Reply #813 on: May 24, 2021, 07:07:12 PM »
Dried berries don't work for the Turnovers recipe (cooking glossary file), and I think not in any recipe, which kind of makes berries useless except for immediate cooking due to spoilage. Is there a way to make the dried berries work?

Brygun

« Reply #814 on: May 25, 2021, 03:20:46 AM »
Dried berries don't work for the Turnovers recipe (cooking glossary file), and I think not in any recipe, which kind of makes berries useless except for immediate cooking due to spoilage. Is there a way to make the dried berries work?

???

Maybe edit the cooking with a wildcard like
 * berries
or
*erries

Dried berries are preserved in one way and not sure if you could/should make turnovers with them but I suppose one could

GrimmSpector

« Reply #815 on: May 25, 2021, 03:47:46 AM »

???

Maybe edit the cooking with a wildcard like
 * berries
or
*erries

Dried berries are preserved in one way and not sure if you could/should make turnovers with them but I suppose one could

I mean you'd want more of them if you want the volume, and it wouldn't be as juicy. But you could also stew them lightly in some water for some of the volume and juicy texture back, even if it's not the same. I could definitely make a turnover out of it lol. I like having the berries, but they're not a useful food source without baking, ya know? It'd be pretty inefficient to use their decreased weight for the same recipes in this game. Maybe I should look into dried berry recipes that may have been used in Iron Age Finland? Maybe pemmican or the like?

Brygun

« Reply #816 on: May 26, 2021, 02:16:38 AM »
your welcome to do a local customization of the cooking recipe

Foods store nutrition data so when you stick them together its added up. There are weight changes and preservation settings. Off the top of my head drying the berries turns them into lower weight, longer safe time without changing the nutrition. You could do a turnover where you add in water with the dried berries to restore them.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #817 on: May 26, 2021, 05:32:58 AM »
your welcome to do a local customization of the cooking recipe

Foods store nutrition data so when you stick them together its added up. There are weight changes and preservation settings. Off the top of my head drying the berries turns them into lower weight, longer safe time without changing the nutrition. You could do a turnover where you add in water with the dried berries to restore them.

Hmm yeah, I guess I could make a recipe where you use the dried berries specifically which is separate, I assume that's what you mean? Since you can't have branched recipes. I'll give that a go!

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: May 26, 2021, 08:27:36 AM »
Or add recipe “reconstitute berries” to get them back to pre-dried weight. Then use them in the recipes accepting them.
Rather than adding duplicate recipes to take dried berries with extra water.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #819 on: May 26, 2021, 03:51:01 PM »
Or add recipe “reconstitute berries” to get them back to pre-dried weight. Then use them in the recipes accepting them.

Interesting, I wonder if this would be a bit cheaty though, because any recipe cooking changes spoilage, right?

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: May 26, 2021, 08:19:38 PM »
Correct, but dried berries would preserve beyond ingame maximum, so would likely be set as non-spoiling to begin with.

Brygun

« Reply #821 on: May 26, 2021, 08:19:58 PM »

Interesting, I wonder if this would be a bit cheaty though, because any recipe cooking changes spoilage, right?

Game internal the items are deleted and a new item created. The new item has a fresh date of creation. The time for the new food item to spoil is on the date of the new item only.

So with the right recipe you can reset the spoiling date over and over as an exploit.

For example if you went from

Berry

to

*erry

and named your turnover as

turnover berry

Then the turnover berry could itself be used as an ingredient in the next turn over berry.

Brygun

« Reply #822 on: May 26, 2021, 08:22:29 PM »
Correct, but dried berries would preserve beyond ingame maximum, so would likely be set as non-spoiling to begin with.

Yeah dried berries are pretty stable. Fresh berries in a cellar last good length of winter.

Normally Id be expecting someone to decide when berry harvesting to:
1) eat now
2) make dried berries for preserved food
3) cook into turn over

which is part of why I haven't updated the BAC recipe to use dried berries for cooking though instead pointed out a possible way for you local game to do that.

Part of BAC as a community mod is also to encourage people learning the easy modding this game has. At least that was part of my own start back when I was doing the one menu "Brygun's Added Items".

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: May 27, 2021, 05:39:00 AM »
Heh, for me personally picking berries is for:
1) bird trap bait
2) berry porridge for breakfast variety, mostly RP element.
3) pass time when waiting for dispersed forest reindeer or sow herd to regroup after getting spooked

LOL

GrimmSpector

« Reply #824 on: May 29, 2021, 01:59:37 AM »
Heh, for me personally picking berries is for:
1) bird trap bait
2) berry porridge for breakfast variety, mostly RP element.
3) pass time when waiting for dispersed forest reindeer or sow herd to regroup after getting spooked

LOL

You hunt em as herds? I have had little success with hunting overall. Always too fast and I always lose track of them when they flee.

anything