Topic: [to 3.63 only] Community mod BAC: Smith, Cooking, Survival, Carpentry, Sewing  (Read 336848 times)

KKarlssoNN

« Reply #165 on: January 11, 2019, 06:57:12 PM »
I'am having trouble finding how to make a fishing rod. I'll keep looking.

Brygun

« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2019, 07:12:49 PM »
Update

Minor

Under utility name correction for "Root Rope" to "Root rope" (not the second word is no longer capitalized)

Under utility "twisted and braided rope" and "root rope" price set to 1 to limit though still allow trade

KKarlssoNN

« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2019, 07:56:56 PM »
Hmmm... I can't find fishing rod. I think it might be missing.

Greyehame

« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2019, 08:32:22 PM »
Brygun - Thanks for this great project.  I'm getting back into the game after a few years away, and playing around with this has been a lot of fun.

There are a couple problems I've noticed (from the BAC mod v026 download a couple days ago; didn't see either of them explicitly addressed since then):

The "Braced Bark Hull" recipe from the Transport menu calls for Tying Equipment ({Tying Equipment} (1)[ground] [remove] [noquality] '+tie ends of belly frame') but none of the tying equipment I've tried to use, including Birch Bark fibre cords/rope, root ropes, hide cords, and others, have worked to fulfill that step.  I suspect {Tying Equipment} may not be working as you intend.

Second, the recipe for Birch backing in the bowying catgory calls for {Split trunk}.  From what I read in the development thread, I think this may need to change to Quarter trunk?

Again, thanks for the great work.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:39:07 PM by Greyehame »

Brygun

« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2019, 08:53:37 PM »
Glad to be of service.

When a community contributes to you you should contribute back to them. True hospitality goes both ways.

Thanks for reporting issues. Looking into them now.

Signatus

« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2019, 09:01:11 PM »
Hmmm... I can't find fishing rod. I think it might be missing.

Indeed I can't find it either... I'mguessing it should be added just before .Net. in the utility file:

Code: [Select]
.Fishing rod.  [effort:0] [phys:hands,one-armed] *CARPENTRY* /2h/
{Staff} [remove]
{*fishhook} [remove] 'Fishhook'
{*Cord} (2) [remove] 'Cord'
{Knife} <Small knife>

That should solve it!

There are a couple problems I've noticed (from the BAC mod v026 download a couple days ago; didn't see either of them explicitly addressed since then):

The "Braced Bark Hull" recipe from the Transport menu calls for Tying Equipment ({Tying Equipment} (1)[ground] [remove] [noquality] '+tie ends of belly frame') but none of the tying equipment I've tried to use, including Birch Bark fibre cords/rope, root ropes, hide cords, and others, have worked to fulfill that step.  I suspect {Tying Equipment} may not be working as you intend.

I just ran into this as I tried to make a birch-bark punt again. One of the issues I was able to solve was that you can't ask for a cord AND have the [ground] tag because it always asks for tying equipment from your inventory (from what I understood). This worked the first time I ran into this issue

However, something fishy was still happening, possibly because of the recipe having more than one {Tying equipment} call, and it was still not accepting any of them on the second call, the one with [noquality]. My solution was to make both of them ask for {*cord} and voila. It also seems silly that "sew with strong thread" can be fulfilled with split spruce twigs or bark laces:

Code: [Select]
.Braced bark hull. "Log" *TIMBERCRAFT* [effort:3] [phys:arms legs stance] /6h/ \40h\
{Opened roll of Birch-bark} (1) [remove] [ground] '+Intact sheet for bottom'
{Opened roll of Birch-bark} (1) [remove] [ground] '+Extend center sides plus other bits'
{*cord} (3) [remove] '+sew with strong thread'
{Staff} (2) [ground] [remove] '+split for inner gunwale frame'
{Wooden stake} (2) [ground] [remove] '+frame spreaders'
{*cord} (1) [remove] [noquality]
{Knife} <Small knife> '+holes cutting shaping'
{Stone}(12) [ground] [noquality] '+apply weight'
{Wooden stake} (24) [ground] [noquality]  '+braces and clips'
[WEIGHT:9999]
[PRICE:0]
[MATERIAL:wood]
// put main on ground, lay frame on it, then bend sheets up
// exterior braces hold sheet upright
// Sew extra sheet pices
// put the stones and braces in place to push on sheets
// needs to sit a long time to take shape

Another issue I found was that the 24 {Wooden stake} wouldn't grab them from the ground... I had to have them in my inventory. I think that because it doesn't have the [remove] tag it works as a tool (I had the "poor tool" message display) and the fact that it's the second call to the same item further screws it up. Having 24 stakes in your inventory throughout the whole process really sucks. As a quick workaround, just comment out the 24 stakes line and drop them on the ground, to roleplay it. Either way they wouldn't be lost.

Second, the recipe for Birch backing in the bowying catgory calls for {Split trunk}.  From what I read in the development thread, I think this may need to change to Quarter trunk?

If I recall correctly, it should be {Short quarter log}

Brygun

« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2019, 09:07:43 PM »
Update

Fixes (prior to Signatus post just now)

Utility
Fishing rod was missing and is now in

Transport
{Tying equipment} fixed, as its not the same as {Tying Equipment} note problem with second word starting with a capital letter

Bowying
{Short quarter log} replaces {Split trunk} in BAC
BAC Trees are assumed to be 3+ meters of useable length hence the short half length is still enough for ~1 to 1.5m bows

flora_XXXX needed for BAC we talked about recently renamed to
flora_BAC_XXXX to note it as part of BAC

flora_cultivated.txt and flora_flax.txt files can be deleted as their data is now in the flora_BAC_XXXX.txt versions

Brygun

« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2019, 09:09:31 PM »
I have a flora_newherbs.txt file in my Unreal directory  ???

Caethan is that one from yours that should be in the BAC?

I also see flora_berries flora_herbs and flora_mushroom

Brygun

« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2019, 09:11:53 PM »

However, something fishy was still happening, possibly because of the recipe having more than one {Tying equipment} call, and it was still not accepting any of them on the second call, the one with [noquality]. My solution was to make both of them ask for {*cord} and voila. It also seems silly that "sew with strong thread" can be fulfilled with split spruce twigs or bark laces:

Actually....

Split spruce twigs are exactly what was used historically

I can knock off the [ground] tags

Signatus

« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2019, 09:21:37 PM »
I have a flora_newherbs.txt file in my Unreal directory  ???

Caethan is that one from yours that should be in the BAC?

I also see flora_berries flora_herbs and flora_mushroom

I think those are all vanilla... it contains Mother/Bear pipe and whatnot.

Actually....

Split spruce twigs are exactly what was used historically

I can knock off the [ground] tags

Well, I guess that the strong thread message is a bit misleading then. Was the capital E really the problem?

Edit: Just tested, and it really is.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:34:01 PM by Signatus »

Brygun

« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2019, 09:39:16 PM »
Update

Transport fixes based on feedback

Due to the 24 Wooden stake braces not being scanned from ground I've just changed the brace line to [remove] on the first stage. Ideally they could be around for a later birch-bark canoe but most users would only make one and they are fairly low cost to make anyway.

Birch-bark price raised from 45 to 60, which is 1:1 with its weight

Brygun

« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2019, 09:41:20 PM »
P.S.

Birch-bark punt now comes to needing 10 {Tying equipment} across the recipes based on the documentary and research saying it was 200 meters (600 ft) for one canoe.

Brygun

« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2019, 09:57:46 PM »
update

Minor

phrasing for one line in the first stage of birch-bark punt changed to:

{Tying equipment} (3) [remove] '+sew with split twigs or better'

Faatal

« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2019, 05:14:34 AM »
beautiful work man

Brygun

« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2019, 04:17:49 PM »
Thank you kindly.

Thanks for the hardtack too.

Novrus keeps a few hardtacks in his pockets and there is a stash at his distant hunting cave.

anything