Topic: A blistering work week...heh  (Read 3936 times)

Tom H

« on: December 12, 2018, 12:00:49 PM »
I had begun to have concerns about my various trap placements and my two trap fences.  I've been checking every day or so and my results were pretty poor for a long time (6-8 weeks?) and only a couple of bears and two elk.

Then, voila!, it's a reindeer, an elk, an elk, an elk and a fox, and another elk. There may be another elk in there that I lost track of. Mixed in with these were at least 6 birds and it's all within a 2-3 week period. Every time I'd complete a hide and finish drying the meat, I'd find another big game in a trap. I got so frazzled that, on the last elk, I was too exhausted to skin it at the trap so I packed the whole thing on my bull and carried the carcass home and stuffed it in the cellar. Unfortunately, that upset my usual routine and the first thing I did in the morning was to BUTCHER it! Bah! I lost the skin!

Not to mention that I had over 50 cords when this period began, which had seemed more than enough up to that point.  I quickly burned through all of those and eventually, after exhausting all my Njerp scrap clothing, I had to use a 24 lb elk hide for cords, of which there are only about 6 lbs left. 

Finally, I've had a day when there WAS NOT something in my traps, lol, so I can take a breather. I may have used up my good luck when I lost that last elk skin. Meh.

Addendum: I spoke too soon. I'm wearily making some cords to replenish my stock when I hear a "bawl of pain in the southeast". Yup, another elk...lol. I now have 152 reindeer cuts and 1758 elk cuts being prepared! At least I didn't forget to skin the bugger this time.

Addendum: Remarkably, yet another elk, though it seems this run of luck is finally ended. Oh, and I apologize for not putting this in the Game Discussion area. My error!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 02:49:44 PM by Tom H »

caius

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 04:30:21 PM »
Make sure you don't let those preserved meats go to waste.  I once had a bounty like yours and my tons of meats spoiled in my cellars because I couldn't eat through them fast enough and I didn't think to do anything else. 

• Trade them.  You can but tons of stuff with sufficiently large stacks of preserved meats.  You might need to travel a while though because some villages won't keep trading in smoked/dried meat if you saturate the market.
  • Give them away.  Small stacks of meat given as gifts is a great way to make friends and influence people (NPCs).

Don't waste all your meat! 

Tom H

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 06:45:11 PM »
Make sure you don't let those preserved meats go to waste.  I once had a bounty like yours and my tons of meats spoiled in my cellars because I couldn't eat through them fast enough and I didn't think to do anything else. 

• Trade them.  You can but tons of stuff with sufficiently large stacks of preserved meats.  You might need to travel a while though because some villages won't keep trading in smoked/dried meat if you saturate the market.
  • Give them away.  Small stacks of meat given as gifts is a great way to make friends and influence people (NPCs).

Good advice! Summer has arrived and, even with 3 dogs helping, I've still got over 4K of dried elk, alone. I went through all the smoked stuff first but the cellar is still over-stocked. I guess I'll set off soon to see the Sartola for the first time.

Brygun

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 07:36:24 PM »

;D :-* ;D :-*

Wise words indeed