Topic: All About Fishing  (Read 7771 times)

Edico

« on: October 06, 2018, 03:11:04 PM »
I'm starting this topic in hopes people will share anything they've experienced in game with fishing, and for people to ask any questions. 

On my characters I like to fish without rods or nets, and it seems like regardless of using spear or club type weapons you pretty much only catch pike unless you're in a rapids or deep sea tile.  I've caught burbot in deep sea and rapids, and salmon and burbot in rapids.  Anyone else share the same experience?

Also, the wiki says that spears are superior to clubs for fishing, I'm not sure I've experienced this to be true.  Early game I tend to just use a rock and it seems to work just as well as a javelin?  Does the type of spear or club matter?  Does attack bonus or anything play a part?  I'm assuming better quality is good.  Can using a different type of spear or club result in different fish caught?

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 09:18:14 PM »
While I worked on a primitive fishing gorge mod for the game, I had the opportunity to ask Sami some questions.

Fishing rods and nets "can" target multiple fish of varied size.
Rocks (clubs), spears/javalins and (maybe) trident all target a single large fish.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

tedomedo

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 07:57:02 PM »
Fishing in rapids gives big fishes. So it's good to build your house by rapids. Rapids never freeze, so you don't have to worry that a njerpez will "visit" you in winter. The best scenario for never being hungry is "I want to be a fisherman".   Fishing skill needs will, dexterity and touch attributes.

Tom H

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 02:12:16 AM »
Tedomedo- heh, I chose that 'Fisherman' as an Islander. My skills were so awful that it took over a day just to build a shelter, I didn't have a ranged weapon and had not the skill or tools to make a javelin from a staff. It was a bad one.

tedomedo

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 03:41:41 PM »
Tom, did you have good attributes for fishing? I saw in my excel file that Islander is one of the best cultures for fishing if all attributes values are (almost) maximal.

Tom H

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »
Everything went wrong for that guy. Had excellent fishing stat. However, his Building stat was zero, so it took about 1 1/2 days just to build a simple shelter. I was used to just making shelter and getting down to business. Slumping into exhaustion while doing that, FAILING to make simple javelins, really poor results from actual fishing attempts, how was I ever going to get any tools to work with.

I learned about some more about character creation from that one!

tedomedo

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 06:36:14 PM »
Islander can't have good building. Read http://unrealworld.wikia.com/wiki/Cultures To see which cultures have good / bad skills.

Edico

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 09:12:43 PM »
While I worked on a primitive fishing gorge mod for the game, I had the opportunity to ask Sami some questions.

Rocks (clubs), spears/javalins and (maybe) trident all target a single large fish.

Do you know, or have you experienced any difference between different objects of the same quality that aren't nets or fishing rods?

Privateer

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 10:28:31 PM »

Do you know, or have you experienced any difference between different objects of the same quality that aren't nets or fishing rods?

I do not know, things like rocks and stones as you know are decent quality 50~60%. a better quality jav etc. may more quickly catch a fish 'If" a fish is there to be caught. Though the fishing timer runs pretty fast for me to do compares.

As mentioned I did make a gorge, which was a rock in game, of high quality and it did seem to catch fish faster than with a rock. Coud just be my perception, not based on facts.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

ModernNorseman

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 08:58:00 PM »

I do not know, things like rocks and stones as you know are decent quality 50~60%. a better quality jav etc. may more quickly catch a fish 'If" a fish is there to be caught. Though the fishing timer runs pretty fast for me to do compares.

As mentioned I did make a gorge, which was a rock in game, of high quality and it did seem to catch fish faster than with a rock. Coud just be my perception, not based on facts.

As Privateer says, I've also always been able to catch survivable amount of fish just by using a rock, however that have only been with Islander characters I've been playing with, who starts with a fairly high skill of fishing.

My best tip would be, to always make sure you perform rituals and sacrifices, when living off of fishing. The spirits certainly rewards the people who don't get too greedy.

anything