Topic: Trying to smoke meat  (Read 8206 times)

Tom H

« on: September 16, 2018, 11:01:06 AM »
It's summer. I've built a 3x4 wooden building with a fireplace. I've made a fire and have all the necessaries for smoking meat but when I try it tells me I DON'T have a heated room. I've tried using varying amounts of branches. Must I use firewood?

PALU

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 06:00:53 PM »
No, I use 16 branches. The only thing I can think of is if the building is incomplete, i.e. doesn't have floor/roof everywhere, missing some wall, or a door. I've never tried with an incomplete building, though.

tedomedo

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 07:34:11 PM »
If you make fire in fireplace, you must have ceiling/foor where you stand for smoking food. I have 4x4 floor, i also have cellar inside (i see snow) and i don't have problems with smoking. I move 16 branches in to fireplace, always stand near fireplace when i start smoking.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 10:10:11 PM by tedomedo »

Privateer

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 08:29:54 PM »
tells me I DON'T have a heated room.

This message does indicate that some part of the building is unfinished, not sealed, not enclosed.
OR
That your room is to large to be heated properly, though with a 3x4 this is obviously not the issue.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Tom H

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 05:12:50 AM »
Hmm, I'll double-check the floor next to the south walls. Maybe I can't see something I overlooked there. Thanks, all!

Tom H

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 06:52:02 AM »
There is a GAP between the east corner and the first east wall. I rebuilt both and the gap is still there. Meanwhile, almost 300 elk cuts spoiled and I forgot two furs before the last tanning step, now rotted.

I think, Heaven forbid, that I'll have to de-construct the whole building, except for the cellar, which I'll keep for the time being. I suppose I must move to another site slightly away. Maybe there's a map glitch? ahhh, I recall that there WAS a tree in line to the wall there when I built those sections. I used it to tie my dog. But, the gap is on the other end of the wall section from where the tree was. Hmm, I'm grasping at straws here.

This is a disaster...

Privateer

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 08:35:25 AM »
If you attach a save I wouldn't mind having a look at it as it is now. like tinyupload or something

GL
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

PALU

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 09:34:32 AM »
It's easy focus too much on a problem so you forget other things. The hides are lost, but you can use the spoiled meat as dog food, at least.

Are you sure you've built a corner at the corner, and not just a wall (or missing the corner completely)? It can be tricky to see sometimes. It's probably unrelated, but there's a display glitch with walls containing windows that cause them to be displayed as oriented the wrong way until an adjacent floor is built.

Tom H

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 10:37:08 AM »
If you attach a save I wouldn't mind having a look at it as it is now. like tinyupload or something

GL

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=16122415271488732975

Tom H

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 01:16:21 PM »
I started dismantling the building and moved it a bit. I noticed that when I built the NW corner and the NE corner, the NE corner is SHORTER. When I put up a E wall, there was, again, a gap. Very disappointing! I don't think I can play the game with this problem.

PALU

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 02:41:24 PM »
The gap is there because there is no wall on that tile. I walked your character onto the tile. Thus, you need to get yourself another 6 logs to plug that hole. The wall section to the south of the hole looks like it partially covers the hole, but is actually located on the tile to the south of it.

Tom H

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 07:04:25 PM »
The gap is there because there is no wall on that tile. I walked your character onto the tile. Thus, you need to get yourself another 6 logs to plug that hole. The wall section to the south of the hole looks like it partially covers the hole, but is actually located on the tile to the south of it.

OOO! That's bizarre. Ok, while I'm putting it back together (I'm ALMOST half done..heh) I'll do what you've laid out. That's a peculiar bug, which I made a report on.

Thank you for your personal effort and interest!

Tom H

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 02:31:21 AM »
My new build came out flawless, smoking now works. Many thanks to all who posted!

tarakalak

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 12:24:48 PM »

OOO! That's bizarre. Ok, while I'm putting it back together (I'm ALMOST half done..heh) I'll do what you've laid out. That's a peculiar bug, which I made a report on.

Thank you for your personal effort and interest!

This is not a bug. It is how the game is designed.

You view the world as if you are high in the air and looking to the north.

So every tall object covers part of the tile just north of it. You can best see it if you move a rock to sit north of a pine tree. The rock will be covered by the tree's crown.