Topic: weight of dried fish vs dried meat  (Read 5734 times)

BTA

« on: July 21, 2018, 02:38:53 PM »
Why does dried salmon weigh more than dried bear? The whole salmon is dried and the bear meat is a chunk or slice of meat. BUT, they are similarly nutritious and less weight of bear is more filling than salmon. Not that it matters in URW gameplay but, there might be a RW reason behind this strange anomaly. Because, after all, URW is a caricature of RW.

Edico

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 01:39:14 AM »
Some fish are heavier than cuts of meat to start (1 cut of meat = 1lb, 1 fish can be up to...9lbs maybe?)
Also the dried salmon is multiple servings if I'm remembering right, where as the dried meat is just 1.  But yes, dried bear meat is one of if not the most nutritious things per weight in this game.

Bedlam

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 06:43:42 PM »
The thing about URW cookery is that nutrition is never lost. Drying or smoking any food item reduces its weight, but it keeps the exact same nutritiousness total (and there's a small extra bonus added, especially if you can get it to tasty or delicious status). That's why you see that with salmon vs bear, but rest assured it's not just random and every original calorie is still in there, nothing is ever lost by smoking or drying food. Just the weight changed.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 07:02:03 PM by Bedlam »
URW cooking overhaul - the Njerpez Cookery Mod v1.01!
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=1106.0

Faurric

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 04:05:35 PM »
Since one dried bear cut will fill me up, I see little value in carrying the larger dried salmon if I have both on hand. I'd normally trade the salmon away. The few times that I've played a fisherman, I liked the efficiency of drying large amounts of large fish all at once.

caethan

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 05:55:54 PM »
The thing about URW cookery is that nutrition is never lost. Drying or smoking any food item reduces its weight, but it keeps the exact same nutritiousness total (and there's a small extra bonus added, especially if you can get it to tasty or delicious status). That's why you see that with salmon vs bear, but rest assured it's not just random and every original calorie is still in there, nothing is ever lost by smoking or drying food. Just the weight changed.

I found an interesting edge case where nutrition is lost, actually:  dried bear meat.  Bear meat is so nutritious that drying it, which multiplies the calorie density by 10, overflows the bits where nutrition data is stored.  Specifically, raw bear meat has 29g of protein per 100g, so drying ought to bump it up to 290g of protein per 100g (yes this is unreasonable, but that's how it works internally).  But it gets stored in a two-byte register, so it instead caps out at only 255g of protein per 100g.  So you end up losing about 6% of the calories when you dry bear meat.  Seal meat is rich enough that this will happen too (although a smaller effect). 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 05:57:57 PM by caethan »

Bedlam

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 12:14:22 AM »
Woah, that definitely sounds like a fixable thing, hope Sami notices your post. Lucky it doesn't overflow to 0 so our bear meats become like the mushrooms of old, when they were bugged.

I  know there's another way to lose out on nutrition related to containers and flour, where if you grind flour in chunks of 4lbs and your bag is nearly full, it'll fill up the bag but the overflow flour will be lost. Disappointing to think about that precious flour being gone by accident. So I try to only fill bags up partial, and then use "A" to pour from one partial bag to another, since this is always loss-less.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:17:13 AM by Bedlam »
URW cooking overhaul - the Njerpez Cookery Mod v1.01!
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=1106.0