Topic: Birch bark for crafting  (Read 13340 times)

Bärentill

« on: July 25, 2017, 02:29:17 PM »
Basically, I like the fact that not everything in Unreal World is craftable by the player very much, for example, that there is no iron forging or the preparation of wool and plant fibers for clothing. It feels realistic in the way it is. On the other side I don't like the "magic" that too many items appear in shops which can't be crafted. For example, there is plenty much birch bark around in the form of trees and there is obviously an insanely large need of birch bark in the villages for boxes and containers and you can peel the bark from trees for hideworking, but there isn't any birch bark. In this special case the game feels quite incomplete.

Additionally the player's crafting skills rely much on woodworking and hideworking, but I feel like there should be a little bit more, at least concerning the basics. The player's character is capable of crafting leather shoes, but he/she cannot even make simple birch bark shoes out of some cord and some birch bark which feels quite unsatisfying especially when starting in winter without any shoes. I'd like to have self-made birch bark shoes so much. Please add them!  :)

Maybe it could also be possible to create the most simple container out of birch bark, the birch bark boxes, to give another use to it. And I guess it would be nice to have a birch bark related quest since there is really much demand in the villages for it.

caethan

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 09:11:02 PM »
In the interim, there's quite a number of mods that add birchbark crafting.  Try adding something like this to your diy_glossary.txt file:

Code: [Select]
.Peel birch-bark. "Bark" [effort:1] *TIMBERCRAFT* [phys:hands,one-armed] /15/ %-20%
{Knife} <Small knife>
{[NEARBY_TILE:Birch]} 'Mature birch tree' [remove]
[WEIGHT:0.5]
[NAME:Birch-bark]
[TYPE:timber]
[MATERIAL:birch-bark]

.Birch-bark necklace. *TIMBERCRAFT* [effort:1] [phys:hands,one-armed] /15/ |-2|
{Knife} <Small knife>
{Birch-bark} #0.8# [remove]
{Tying equipment} (1) [remove] 'Cord'

.Birch-bark shoes. *TIMBERCRAFT* [effort:1] [phys:hands,one-armed] /90/ |-2|
{Knife} <Small knife>
{Birch-bark} #1.6# [remove]

.Birch-bark cap. *TIMBERCRAFT* [effort:1] [phys:hands,one-armed] /90/ |-2|
{Knife} <Small knife>
{Birch-bark} #1.8# [remove]

.Birch-bark box. *TIMBERCRAFT* [effort:1] [phys:hands,one-armed] /30/ [-2]
{Knife} <Small knife>
{Birch-bark} #0.5# [remove]

.Birch-bark basket. "Birch-bark basket" *TIMBERCRAFT* [effort:1] [phys:hands,one-armed] /3h/ |-1|
{Knife} <Small knife>
{Birch-bark} #6# [remove]

Bärentill

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 12:32:29 PM »
Oh well, I am not into modding yet, but I guess I will try it later. I didn't expect it to be that easy either.

In general, I don't like mods very well, since they are often doing too much of the wrong thing. I'd prefer it to be in the vanilla version of the game, but I guess I cannot persuade anyone to share my opinion.

Thank you very much.

JEB Davis

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 12:12:29 AM »
I think there are many excellent things that have been added with mods. Of course it would be great if many of them were added to vanilla. I agree. But keeping in mind this game is a labor of love developed by one man (with help from his friends), he has decided there are many other larger improvements that keep the game growing rather than incorporate mod ideas that can continue to be used as mods easily enough. I completely agree with that course of action. There is only so much time in a person's life!

Give modding a try, it's not that bad  :)

Bärentill

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 07:30:31 PM »
You don't have to tell me. :D I appreciate his work very well. But I'm a busy man, too, and I know that this wish of mine might just only be work for half an hour for someone who knows what to do. Half an hour of work in trade for making many people happy then. That sounds good to me. This weekend I might have some spare time and I will probably try to do it and then I will share the result and add it to my suggestion. But since I don't know what to do, it will probably take hours for me to do. :D

wolfman00

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 06:47:43 AM »
I think this thread hits on a very important point. Some people think something should be in the vanilla version of the game while others would disagree. That is EXACTLY what modding is for! Modding allows everyone to have, more or less, the game that they want.

Also, modding with URW is as easy as copying some text files into your game folder. You don't need to know how to create the mods, you just need to download the text files or create a txt file and copy/paste. Then with very little effort your/my game has the features of choice.

I personally love iron working, and so EVERY game i play has "rain's iron mod".

@caethan: Thanks for posting the Birch-bark mod items. That is something that i have been lacking in my current game but was too lazy to look around for a mod, and way too lazy to write my own..... haha, then what i need just appears... like magic. Thank you!

Birch bark bandages are really what i want though, i guess i will have to write them in....I really don't have a lot of clothes or hides for bandages at the moment....
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 06:57:54 AM by wolfman00 »

caethan

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 04:00:59 AM »
@wolfman00 - You're welcome!  Here's some other birch-bark stuff (cap, box, and basket) and a new birch-bark bandage:

Code: [Select]
.Birch-bark cap. *TIMBERCRAFT* [effort:1] [phys:hands,one-armed] /90/ |-2|
{Knife} <Small knife>
{Birch-bark} #1.8# [remove]

// And pre-existing birch-bark containers.
.Birch-bark box. *TIMBERCRAFT* [effort:1] [phys:hands,one-armed] /30/ [-2]
{Knife} <Small knife>
{Birch-bark} #0.5# [remove]

.Birch-bark basket. *TIMBERCRAFT* [effort:1] [phys:hands,one-armed] /3h/ |-1|
{Knife} <Small knife>
{Birch-bark} #6# [remove]

.Bandage. "Birch-bark bandage" *TIMBERCRAFT* [effort:1] [phys:hands,one-armed] /60/ |-2|
{Knife} <Small knife>
{Birch-bark} #1# [remove]

wolfman00

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 05:50:01 AM »
@caethan Thank you! Nothing like a good ol' birch bark bandage to stop the flow of blood... :P

anything