Topic: Modding Wishlist  (Read 3963 times)

caethan

« on: January 03, 2018, 11:57:46 PM »
I thought I'd compile a list of things that would be useful (long-term) additions to the modding tools, along the lines of Rain's old list here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/351700/discussions/4/392183857628525494/

• Time of year requirements for recipes.  Something like [MONTH: 5 6] to restrict an item being made from May to June.  I'd use this for things like birch-bark gathering (early Spring) or sheep shearing (Summer).
  • Weather requirements for recipes.  E.g., [WEATHER: sunny] for drying berries. I always like seeing weatherlore more useful!
  • Quality limits on outputs.  Something like [MAXQUALITY: 1] to prevent the produced item from being better than crude.  Or similarly, something broader than [noquality] like [QUALITY: 1] to make the output always crude.  This would be nice for primitive item crafting like easy cords.  I've got a recipe for cords from soaked branches, but I don't want them usable to make high quality items, so I want to make sure they're always low quality.  Right now I just have a massive %-100% quality modifier, but I still often produce decent or even fine cords from the recipe.
  • Item categorization for use in recipes.  Something like [IS:keyword] to define an item as a member of a preexisting or custom set.  So a recipe for drying berries that has [IS:Berries] that would allow the dried berries to be used in berry porridge.  Or custom items like [IS:Iron Ore] that would allow specifying {Iron Ore} in smelting recipes instead of using complicated regexes.
  • Custom tool preferences.  If I've got multiple tools of the same category, it'd be nice to specify that one is better suited than another.  E.g., I've got stone and iron hammers in my smithing mod.  Something like {Hammer} <Iron hammer> to make iron hammers perform better, even with the same qualities.
  • Cooking without a fire.  Something like [nofire] to allow cooking of foods without a fire, for things like drying berries or cracking bones for marrow and such.
  • Cooking without a pot.  E.g., [nopot] that removes the pot requirement at least for baked foods.
  • Nutrient modifications in cooked items.  Normally, the nutrients of the input food get used to automatically calculate the nutrition of the output food.  Customizing this based on the input items would be nice.  Something like [CARB_DIV: 0.5] to let roasting turnips make them more nutritious, or [PROTEIN_DIV: 2] for losses of nutrients during cooking.
  • Custom flavor text. [TEXT:Something immersive it says in the game text for flavor while you are doing a diy action]
  • Allow [SPOILAGE_DAYS:] in diy items.  Would like this for things like retting grasses or soaking branches for cords.

Anything else other modders have been hankering for?

Puella14

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 09:55:24 AM »
Until reading this list I haven‘t even thought about how cool these things would be. I‘m not a modder myself (i change stuff then and when but no complete things), but I can see how just a few of these things would enable many more cool mods :) Even I get ideas from it ^^

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 03:28:23 PM »
Definitely all good ideas.