Topic: Use of dried/smoked meat/fish in cooking  (Read 11555 times)

caius

« on: September 11, 2017, 09:19:17 PM »
I'm starting to dabble in cooking modifications.  I've been able to craft edible recipes and embed them in sub-menus (Thanks for the tutorials and existing mods out there).  I've also created cooking recipes for dried berries, mushrooms, and herbs.

However, I want to use dried/smoked meat cuts and fish for recipes.  Is there any way for recipes to refer to general dried/smoked meat/fish as it currently does to {Raw meat} or {Raw fish}?  (Note: I also eventually want to use dried berries, dried mushrooms, and dried herbs (seasoning) in recipes.) 

For example, if I want to use dried stag cuts for a recipe, the following don't work:
     {Dried meat}    #1# [remove] [bake]
     {Dried cut}    #1# [remove] [bake]

Similarly, smoked trout doesn't work in the following:
     {Smoked fish}    #1# [remove] [bake]

...BUT, the following commands do work with dried stag cuts and smoked trout, respectively:
     {Dried stag cut}    #1# [remove] [bake]
     {Smoked trout}    #1# [remove] [bake]

I assume the same limitation exists for salted meat/fish.  Would I need specific recipes for all the different dried/smoked meat/fish permutations (e.g. Dried Bear Cut Recipe X, Dried Elk Cut Recipe X, etc.)?  Is there recipe text that generally refers to any permutation of the dried/smoked meat/fish possibilities?

PALU

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:43:48 PM »
Check the Njerpezit Cooking Mod. It's got recipes that require dried and smoked meat respectively. It's also got dried mushrooms and berries.

That mod doesn't seem to be posted on this forum, though, but it is present on the old one.

Atwood

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 11:59:39 PM »
The recipes are built from the specific words of the ingredients, which is why just 'dried meat' won't work but 'dried stag cut' will, but you can use an asterix as a wildcard to make more general ingredient lists. For example, to allow any smoked meat or fish in the recipe you can use {Smoked*}, any dried meat/fish is {Dried*} and so on.

You can also put the wildcard at the front (e.g. {*berries} to allow any berry type, including dried), at both ends (e.g. {*ried *} if you want to include anything at all that is dried, including meat, fish, berries, mushrooms, etc.) or even throughout the ingredient name if the ingredient might have many modifiers on it (e.g. {*Rotten *weasel carcass*} if for some reason you wanted such a thing - this would allow for modifiers like 'grisly', 'small' or 'skinned' to be present without blocking the rotten weasel carcass from being used).

For dried berries, you might be able to use {*ried *berries}, but I haven't tested that out. One thing to note as well is that spaces matter when you're using wildcards, so {*stag cut} is different from {* stag cut} - the latter will only allow cooked/preserved stag cuts while the other would allow either raw or prepared cuts.

Here's the Njerpez cooking mod PALU mentioned, which is a great resource for creative cooking ideas and coding tricks: http://z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/index.php?showtopic=7253

caius

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 04:22:03 AM »
Those are great responses and exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks!

Plotinus

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 08:38:55 AM »
{* cut} works too, if you don't want a special recipe for stag and a different for elk and a different for bear

anything