Topic: Animals eat garden  (Read 9965 times)

wolfman00

« on: August 11, 2017, 10:43:04 PM »
Hi guys!
So, i haven't posted anything on the forums for.... hmm... a few years. I guess my account got deleted from lack of use.... haha... i guess that will teach me to write more and read less... or something.
Anyway.... i don't know currently in the game how much animals are attracted to or eat player or NPC made gardens. But, i know from experience that animals in the real world are quite a pest when it comes to growing a garden. Maybe not everyone who grows a garden has as much trouble with animals as i do, but the basic principle is the same. I do believe that in the game you can use turnips to bait a pit trap for elk... it seems as if also elk would be QUITE attracted to eating a persons turnips out of the garden. This also would apply to vegetables and plants that are not ready for harvest. Animals are quite attracted to the young and tasty leaves. Rabbits, elk, squirrels and some birds in addition to other animals could be more of a pest in the game. In order to protect your harvests from such beasts, i think the first step would be to build a fence around the garden. For more drastic measures, positioning some dogs around the perimeter or some other means maybe necessary.

Anyway, just my thoughts and i love Unreal world!

Oh, btw... the new quests are awesome! I got one where i have to strip naked and stand on a rock in a lake to speak with the water spirits! COOL! I should have told the old sage who gave me the quest that, "Hey dude, i already strip naked and bark at the moon in the middle of a lake." .... but, now as an added bonus i can talk to water spirits!... haha

Mati256

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 11:33:40 PM »
Welcome. If you have not been around for a couple of years, this is a new forum so everyone had to create a new account.
Animals will eat your crops. I lost a parcel of Nettle to an Elk because I was too lazy to build a fence. The parcel next to it, that did have a fence was ok.

PALU

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 11:40:28 AM »
And fences don't protect you from badgers... I probably lost a couple of hundred tiles before I managed to kill it (several replantings of the ravaged plots).  I've also lost some grain to birds: apparently they managed to steal the ripe grain before my character got to harvest it (checked daily, so their window of opportunity wasn't large).

wolfman00

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 08:23:11 PM »
Ah, that is good to know. It sounds as if animals play a more realistic role in the latest version of the game than older versions. I haven't gotten around to growing a garden in this version so i couldn't say for sure. I was just concerned.

I am glad to know that fences will keep the elk out, as for the badgers, birds and other pests.. i wonder if tying a dog to the fence would keep them out?

Privateer

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 08:26:42 PM »
snip..
 i wonder if tying a dog to the fence would keep them out?

If you fence the area, letting dog(s) run deter/protect from creatures.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 03:29:18 AM »
traps are a good solution for badgers ;)

PALU

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 10:39:42 AM »
Traps only work on badgers if they actually enter the traps...
I did have a few badger compatible traps, but the bugger ignored them. I hadn't yet had time to close the whole area off with snares/smallest dead fall traps (hard to have time and materials to do that for the first year planting). These small traps won't trap badgers, but they act as fences so nothing crosses them (including elks), while animals of the size targeted by the traps occasionally get caught.

Kerlysis

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 07:22:05 AM »
 :o didn't realize big animals couldn't cross loop traps. how silly