Topic: Of Wolf and Woman  (Read 132 times)

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« on: May 10, 2024, 11:57:35 PM »
Not sure if intentional, but seems like the wolf spawned for the quest, might end up dying anyways... when it spawns on river, during Swidden's thinning ice.

Character got to the area, heard wolf howl NE, while on the wrong side of river. I waited for some days, and the river cleared. Went looking for the wolf for several days, but no tracks, no howls. Lo and behold, it'd gotten (or spawned) on thin ice and drowned.

I do not have a usable save to try and recreate this.
Animals tend to stay away of water, maybe have them stay off thin ice too? Very least don't have them spawn on thin ice.

Edit: Made it back to the village, there's no option to tell the woman that the wolf is dead.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 12:58:32 AM by JP_Finn »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 10:31:47 AM »
Heh, a good example about the beauty and challenge of procedurally generated quests.
Of course the main intention with the quests is that they can be solved, but also in a living, procedurally generated world there are countless variables which may interfere - and also sometimes make them impossible to complete.

This case is something we can address, and I'll check up on that, but also NPC hunters might end up in killing the wolf. Or if it would choose to chase an elk, a good hoof kick might sometimes also prove fatal. And so on. This way the procedurally generated quests differ quite a bit from more commonly used static, linear game quests which follow the plot in more predicatable (and boring) fashion.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything