Topic: [3.82] Two problems with kg calculations and labelling  (Read 3325 times)

Senthe

« on: November 25, 2023, 07:53:39 PM »
1. It commonly happens to me that I'm told I need e.g. "0.2 kg leather", but when I select from my inventory "2 leathers" that say they weigh "0.2kg" total, then I'm still told that I need e.g. 40g extra - because it was actually supposed to be 0.24kg while they were exactly 0.20kg.

It can also go the other way - I might be told that I have "0.2 kg" of something, but then when I use it on a recipe that says it needs "0.2kg", it turns out there's still 20g leftover, because the "0.2kg" I was shown in the inventory was actually 0.22kg.

I don't know if it's exclusive to kg base unit, caused by some calculations between Ibs and kg, or is there a similar problem with Ibs too - I've only been playing with kg. But it's pretty bizarre and very inconvenient, because I sometimes literally can't tell whether I have enough of a given material for a recipe or not, before I try to actually execute the recipe, and to do that, I first need to set up all the other conditions too. If I only want to check whether I can do it or not, I should be able to do that by comparing the two numbers that I'm given (how much I need and how much I have), and now it doesn't really work this way.

2. Sometimes when crafting or cooking there is a label "Ibs kg" shown instead of just "kg". Sometimes also Ibs weight is shown instead of kg during crafting, completely omitting the conversion. (Of course I'll gather concrete examples when I next notice them, and add them to this post, for now I just wanted to flag that this is a thing that I've been noticing.)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 07:57:38 PM by Senthe »

PALU

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 08:35:55 AM »
There's a setting for the resolution of units in the UI. I think the highest is 3 digits.

Senthe

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 02:21:05 PM »
Thanks for letting me know, that's really useful! Though I certainly still wish that rounding was done less aggressively in some cases even if the resolution is set to 1 unit.

For example: yesterday when crafting bone arrowheads from reindeer bone, 1 bone I had was "0.5kg" and crafting 5 bone arrowheads requires "0.2kg".

It turned out that I was able to use this recipe precisely 2 times and the bone was all used up. So apparently the real amount required is 0.25kg, and one bone weighs exactly 0.5kg. It doesn't make sense to me at all that a number like 0.25 gets rounded down to 0.2.

In the most extreme case, you could show 0.15 "rounded" to 0.1, which is inaccurate by a whooping 50%. This can barely be called rounding IMO, this is straight up mathematical lies!!!1!! (I'm just kidding ofc, but you know what I mean ; ))

Plotinus

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 08:56:09 PM »
i think the 1 unit resolution setting is meant to be a bit fuzzy so that you can imagine you're an iron age guy alone in the woods without a real scale, just eyeballing it that "it's about a lb/kg i guess"

anything