Topic: Would the devs be open to a GOG release, if GOG unrejected the game?  (Read 6280 times)

tfishell

« on: October 02, 2023, 04:59:34 AM »
I respect if the devs don't want to bother with GOG after rejection, but GOG has unrejected games previously, especially ones that got quite a few votes on the GOG Community Wishlist. (gog (dot) com/wishlist/games/unreal_world - UnReal World does have 1300+ votes now, which is a pretty good number for the Community Wishlist.) I'm occasionally in contact with GOG staff; if the UnReal devs are potentially open to releasing on GOG, I could mention this. I understand if the devs don't want to bother but I at least wanted to bring this up.  :)

Erkka

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 06:17:25 PM »
Hello, and welcome to the forums!

The forum has rather strict anti-spam measures. But if you keep on participating, after a few more posts the forum software will automatically grant you rights to include links in your posts.

And, for the sake of convenience, here is a direct link to the gog wishlist entry for UrW

I think it is Sami who makes this kind of decisions, so let's wait to see what he says.
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

tfishell

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 08:03:20 PM »

The forum has rather strict anti-spam measures. But if you keep on participating, after a few more posts the forum software will automatically grant you rights to include links in your posts.

I think it is Sami who makes this kind of decisions, so let's wait to see what he says.

That's fine, I get it; the anti-spam measure is the same way on the GOG forum. :) Thanks for the direct link. Will wait.

tfishell

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 01:46:24 AM »

And, for the sake of convenience, here is a direct link to the gog wishlist entry for UrW

Sorry to bother. Would it be possible to get an update? I do understand if nobody is interested.

Erkka

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 05:34:47 AM »
Well, I have some more questions;

1. Is there something which would make it better to re-try GOG distribution right now, instead of thinking about it sometime in 2024 or 2025 or so?

2. Last time we asked, their reply was pretty much like "we have reviewed your game and we believe it won't sell enough, so listing it won't be good enough business for us". So, do you have reasons to believe that something has actually changed after that? Either their general policy has changed so that now they consider it fine to list games for smaller audiences - or that 1300+ votes at the wishlist would convince them that listing UrW would be good business for GOG? Or, are you suggesting that because of your personal contacts you could convince them that contrary to their business model it would still be a good decision for them to have UrW on their list?
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

tfishell

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 04:12:13 AM »
Well, I have some more questions;

1. Is there something which would make it better to re-try GOG distribution right now, instead of thinking about it sometime in 2024 or 2025 or so?

2. Last time we asked, their reply was pretty much like "we have reviewed your game and we believe it won't sell enough, so listing it won't be good enough business for us". So, do you have reasons to believe that something has actually changed after that? Either their general policy has changed so that now they consider it fine to list games for smaller audiences - or that 1300+ votes at the wishlist would convince them that listing UrW would be good business for GOG? Or, are you suggesting that because of your personal contacts you could convince them that contrary to their business model it would still be a good decision for them to have UrW on their list?

I do think the staff might be more willing to consider the game now, and I think to some extent the wishlist votes play a role (especially for indies), though of course I cant guarantee anything and don't want to "put words in their mouths".

I'm totally fine with sending a message to my contact (I think it might be a good idea), but of course I wouldn't want to do so if you and co. aren't potentially interested / I'd want your "permission" to ask, basically.

If 2024 or 2025 are when you expect the game to be competed, I also understand wanting to wait until then, although I'd still suggest letting me contact my person at Gog (to ensure there's a good chance the game won't be rejected again).

anything