Topic: [3.80 beta linux] leashed animals poop more than penned animals  (Read 6637 times)

Plotinus

« on: May 29, 2023, 01:39:55 PM »
Leashed animals generate a lot of poop. It's not just that they don't sleep: Cut down a tree with an animal on a leash and it'll poop a few times. Walk 100 paces with a leashed reindeer and it will probably poop a couple times. Leashed animals generate so much poop that I built a pen to put the animals in so that the poop would be contained to one place.

The pen has a lot of room for the reindeer to move around in, 94 tiles (30 × 4 but there are some trees and fences inside where the reindeer can't move to).

If I leave the reindeer in the pen, it poops only once a day, 200g, even though I'm at home with the reindeer and not leaving the tile.

If I tie the reindeer to a tree in its pen, it pooped 0 times in over 24 hours (afternoon 1 day until late afternon the next day), even though I was nearby the whole time. I have seen other animals poop while tied to trees sometimes, though.

If I have the reindeer leashed and with me then between late afternoon in one day and early evening the next day: 7 poops, 1.6 kg total.

In the previous 3 trials, i spent the entire time setting and resetting a trap, except for when I was asleep. Next trial: walking back and forth across a tile with a leashed reindeer from early evening one day until evening the next day: 19 reindeer droppings (4.3 kg)

My guess is that when the reindeer is not on a leash, it's pooping at the rate of a wild animal, and wild animals generate less poop because it would make hunting too easy.

My guess is that domestic animals should poop more often when unleashed. The amount of poop they produce while leashed seems like a lot - especially when moving around and not doing time consuming tasks like building but I would not be surprised to learn that cows, bulls, and reindeer really do produce that much poop.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 09:43:35 AM by Sami »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 09:06:19 PM »
So here we've got the first poop issue report - which is kind of a milestone :)
I'll check. This is probably not OS related issue. The pooping intervals shouldn't change when animal is on the leash, but now it feels like the some values are getting mistakenly reset for leashed poopers.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 08:49:00 AM »
Tried on Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) but can't reproduce. I had reindeer on a leash and spent several days walking around and felling trees and such, the poop interval was normal.

Plotinus, could you send the savegame?
And also, have you noticed this with other characters and their domestic animals too?

Plotinus

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 06:42:54 PM »
I've noticed it with all of my characters. These are all characters that were migrated from earlier versions, I didn't try with a new one. I'll send over Aaro, the one I did the trials with, it has an old reindeer from 3.72 and a new reindeer from a village I had previously visited -- not sure if that counts as a new reindeer or not, since it would have been generated in 3.72 or earlier but it became mine in 3.80 beta. I haven't repeated the trials since I got the new reindeer, so I couldn't say whether it poops less.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 06:49:34 PM by Plotinus »

Plotinus

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 06:49:20 PM »
I'll send Jerkko too, you can see all the manure he's collected to distribute to his plants walking back and forth since r5ii - it's t5ig now, so almost 2 days.

Plotinus

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 09:38:12 PM »
I made my first new character of 3.80b, Not All Who Wander Are Lost. Got a ram and it hasn't pooped yet that I've noticed after 4 days of life.  Update: Day 5, it's produced a little manure now.

So possibly things are different for rams, but more likely things are different for new characters created in 3.80b. None of my older characters has a ram. I noticed it with a pig, a reindeer, a cow, and a bull so far.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 09:50:39 PM by Plotinus »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 09:40:34 AM »
Fixed.
It wasn't about leashing, or operating system, but about char<>int kind of mistake in the code with the dropping interval calculations.
As a result, the heayy pooping of animals starts with the characters that have survived longer than the magical 255 game days.

There's a sanity check with the amount of droppings around each animal, so that the penned animals wouldn't produce tons of it at the small area.
That's why the issue is noticed only with the animals that do move relatively freely, such as the leashed animals while travelling with the character.

Fixed - persists in 3.80.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 06:40:06 PM by Sami »

Plotinus

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 01:24:56 PM »
Nice! Thanks for explaining what caused it

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 08:47:41 PM »
.. anyone who has (had) a dog, knows they poop twice as much when going for walkies...

::)

anything