Topic: Vivi's Dogfood  (Read 6690 times)

Vivi001

« on: April 02, 2023, 06:31:32 PM »
Vivi's Dogfood

I know, I'm bad at naming things.
Simple mod for those who don't want their dogs to be eating spoiled meat. I mean, why treat your dog that way? :(

About this mod:
Adds Dog Biscuit Dough and Dog Biscuits.

Utility Articles:
Dog Biscuit Dough has been added to this menu. It requires a mix of flour, meat, and water-and also a Beater.
You need this to make biscuits, duh!

Cookery:
Dog Biscuit has been added to the Baking menu inside Cookery Menu. You need the dog biscuit dough, a heated fireplace, and last but not least a board!
20 pieces per dough.

Notes:
2-3 Dog biscuits for a big dog when hungry!
Dogfood makes it multiply from meat to form nearly ever lasting food that won't be spoiled(0.88 meat/fish is about 3 cuts of meat, kind of, which is the amount you usually feed to a hungry doggy). And by that, I mean they last 180 days(6 months) out of cellar.
Biscuits are 50g each, and the dough is 1kg. So the total amount of 20 biscuits are 1kg.
This amount is probably enough to feed your dog for a while, and is relatively light as compared to carrying around 20 spoiled meat or the likes.

On balancing this:
Well you can add salt and then make it take 24 hours of preparation time if you want. Its just that I don't think baking biscuits take too long and are relatively simple. I don't know how to bake after all! Ha... You can tweak it as you like, I don't mind.

Oh, and don't eat the dog biscuit or the dough. Or... do you dare try? :x

Vivi001

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 09:50:24 AM »
Changelog v1: Fixed images not showing up/having white speckles on background.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 07:09:52 PM »
Biscuits (as in US, not UK) in general are akin to hardtack, not soft like modern cookies.
So they’re unleavened, no raising agents. And baked low heat for good duration, often for military/sailing rations they’d be baked twice to drive out moisture.

Adding meat to the mixture in simplest sense would not speed up spoilage, but the baking process would be either multi step: dry and ground the meat to powder first, then mix that in to the biscuit dough.
Most realistic way ingame would be to require the meat be dried cuts, not fresh.
Driving out moisture from raw meat mixed in batter, the meat would contain moisture after the biscuit is burnt.
Adding fat, it’d need to be rendered first, (tallow, lard) otherwise it would go rancid.

Brygun

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 11:11:46 PM »
Since the game has dried meat only as winter dried then roasted meat seems a reasonable idea to "dry" the biscuit.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2023, 06:08:56 PM »
Roasting does remove very little moisture. Moisture and oxidation = spoilage.
Maybe add a “baked meat”, dehydrated /dried recipe (24h?) as a travel/dog biscuit preparation step to be done first. In case there’s no dried meat available.

Vivi001

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 05:11:24 PM »
Anyone is welcome to modify my mod with credits given. :x
For now I am happy with this iteration, thank you for all the suggestions! :D

anything