Topic: [Suggestion] New Feature: Save Large World Map to Disk as Picture  (Read 2556 times)

ineedcords

« on: January 09, 2023, 09:36:31 AM »
I just needed a "Large World Map" picture file, to be used in the production of an UrW gameplay video.
As we all know, the actual map part of the viewport is not that big at the moment; impacts both the active play-map and World Map screen (F6) is no different.
Based on my calculation (as per link D, below) we are currently using about 24% of the screen space for the actual World Map display.
I see that there already is an entry in the Development List relevant to this, that reads: "World and terrain > Map of known areas (F6) overhaul > Larger map viewport".
Glad to see that entry in the list.
For today though, just to try and find something that is usable right now, I had a look on the forums, and I found links A & B, copied below.

Link A: is a mod (an external standalone program/tool), developed by Night.
It is a nice tool, however I understand it is for solving a different problem, as it takes the world map we know, and either copies it one to one to another 'window' one-to-one.
Optionally it can upscale it.
Either way, the amount of "world" displayed is the same so it does not give me the Large World Map I am after.

Link B: is a suggestion, which is about a larger visual field.
In Reply #4, thread author provides details, also indicates it is about the main play area map.
In Reply #1, Sami explains graphics-modernization is needed, and is estimated to take about 12 months.
Over the years, as PC hardware became more capable and in general "larger", we definitely need a "main play area/map" enlargement, likewise with the World Map (F6).
As mentioned in the suggestion, it is not only about the size, there can be refinements, such as further increasing the actual usable area as per example screenshot from another game.
I agree with the overall sentiment, I hope it gets implemented one day, and sooner than later.
I also understand the dev's message saying that it is not a trivial matter and we already know that there are a lot of other features on mind (as listed in the Development List, linked below).
It may take while to actually see this particular suggestion implemented in the game...

Now, with this background, I am assuming, it would be relatively way easier to implement a new functionality just to help with the unified (no-scrolling-required) view of Large World Map wish.
Namely a new feature to "Save Large World Map to Disk as picture".
I believe it would be a good interim solution as it can be beneficial for players to have a large size reference of their current Unreal World.

In addition, it would create extra and convenient presentation possibilities for content creators.

LINKS
A) (Suggestion) Full screen map with toggleable information on it - remove classic info boxes     https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5358.msg12853#msg12853
B) (Mod/Tool) [3.62] [3.61] URWExternalMap v1.0.0     https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5357
C) Unreal World - Development List     https://unrealworld.fi/urw_development.html
D) My calculation on how much of the screen space is currently being used for active map area.
A screenshot is embedded to this message below but as screenshots eventually die, also listing the calculation below, in text format.

Screenshot

Text
Detail of my calculation to find out the "Map Screen Active Map Area" as percentage of the screen space:
* Map Screen Total Space (in tiles): 264 total cells [22 columns X 12 rows]
* Map Screen Active Map Area: 64 total cells [8 columns X 8 rows]
*Ratio: 64 cells out of 264 are being actively used: (64/264)*100 = ~24%

Footnotes
1. "Cells" are randomly sized tiles created while postprocessing this screenshot, just to get an idea on ratios (and it has nothing to do with the game "tile" size).
2. Offsets are in use & alignment is not perfect, so this is not a 100% accurate calculation but is close enough for me.
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.