Topic: [Fixed - persists in 3.70] "Savegame needs a remedy" after BSOD  (Read 6847 times)

T_Dav112

« on: October 23, 2021, 08:35:50 PM »
Hi everyone,

My game crashed after a BSOD and then displayed the error "Savegame needs a remedy" after starting back up again.
My hopes aren't high, but just thought I'd post here and see if anything could be done about it.

Savegame on Google Drive:
drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Q3uaUaYsXUAH_yjJ1qcFayADwlAOmS68?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 05:31:08 PM by Sami »

Night

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 10:20:19 PM »
Hi everyone,

My game crashed after a BSOD and then displayed the error "Savegame needs a remedy" after starting back up again.
My hopes aren't high, but just thought I'd post here and see if anything could be done about it.

Savegame on Google Drive:
drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Q3uaUaYsXUAH_yjJ1qcFayADwlAOmS68?usp=sharing

I was able to load into your world after replacing your character files "LEDRICK" with a replacement character. But from what I saw in cheat engine it didn't look like your character had any data saved to it. Probably due to the BSOD while the game was saving/writing to the files.

Unlikely they will be able to restore the character if there isn't a backup of the data stored somewhere.
URW Character Menu - Cheating menu by a player, for the players.
URW Character Designer - Design your characters sprite!

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 06:19:39 PM »
Unfortunately the character can't be restored.
I'm curious which version of the game you were playing?

In 3.70 we added some extra safety measures for data loss upon power loss / hard crash, so I'm asking if we need to seek for more solutions.
All in all, this is only Windows issue, and it's been pain to figure out sane reason for it to happen.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

T_Dav112

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 03:07:32 AM »

In 3.70 we added some extra safety measures for data loss upon power loss / hard crash, so I'm asking if we need to seek for more solutions.
All in all, this is only Windows issue, and it's been pain to figure out sane reason for it to happen.

I'm using latest version 3.70 from Steam.

Pyry

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 05:44:05 AM »
I had the same issue on 3.70

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wNYMwU6eXbnmcS_bP-oH7bLMsGUyrObw?usp=sharing

I think I quit the game after the character had been saved, once the main menu had appeared

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 10:24:39 AM »

I'm using latest version 3.70 from Steam.

Damn. I though we had it secured, but gotta seek for more solutions then.
And what was your exact Windows version?

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 10:31:42 AM »
I had the same issue on 3.70

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wNYMwU6eXbnmcS_bP-oH7bLMsGUyrObw?usp=sharing

I think I quit the game after the character had been saved, once the main menu had appeared

Are you quite sure the game ended like that? The last note in the message log says "You finish eating some of that broad bean soup.", and then it's all blank, no
mentions about character being saved. It's even more bizarre if the character data gets blanked after manual quitting.

Anyway, this characters seems unrecoverable as well. What is your operating system version?

Pyry

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 03:17:52 PM »
That's really curious, I usually quit the game by using CTRL + S which displays a very quick message in blue in the log.

My OS is Windows 10, version 20H2,  build 19042.1288

Anyways, the character was very recent so I didn't lose a lot, thank you for taking a look.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 05:30:17 PM »
That's really curious, I usually quit the game by using CTRL + S which displays a very quick message in blue in the log.

My OS is Windows 10, version 20H2,  build 19042.1288

Anyways, the character was very recent so I didn't lose a lot, thank you for taking a look.

Okay. Good to hear it wasn't a big loss, but of course we still wouldn't want these issues to be witnessed ever.

--

In case of another instances of this, please just report again. We'll keep seeking for more safety measures.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2021, 05:30:48 PM »
After several attempts I've managed to reproduce this issue by simulating a sudden power by loss switching off the extension cord the computer is connected to.
Bad for your computer, good for bug hunting.
So I managed to witness that character data occasionally appears blank after these shutdowns. It still makes no sense at all, looking at the file handling in use, but Windows can be surprise us sometimes. And this is only Windows issue.

The good thing is that by adding additional character file backup steps along the way, I've managed to create a system where some of the character data files always stay intact and can be recovered upon loading the character again.

So we can call this fixed until (hopefully not) proven otherwise in the future. I'll also make it so that upon loading corrupted character again the game automatically tries to recover the last good character data condition from the internal backups.