Topic: How, and where to post background modifications?  (Read 7081 times)

HUNterHUN

« on: July 31, 2021, 10:20:54 PM »
Edit #1: (Sadly, most of the pictures that can be enhanced the most, are licenced images. Removed them, because they can not be modded due to copyright.)

Edit #2 Removed everything that is not related to the question and moved to the released mod's thread.

Hello to everyone.

I started this project very long time ago, (more than a year) but I not really playing this game very frequently.
Because of that I several times left my enhancement work alone.
Finally, I finfised it.

I already posted one example, it was at March 28 2020, in this post, tho' that is about RPG-ish portraits, not the backgrounds.
Take a look, if you are inetrested. https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5385.msg13424#msg13424

Motto: "The snow is not blue. Period."

Most of the work I done are just some change in coloure-tone, sharpening, and such.
There are some pictures that just doesn't seems to look good, but after enhacing them they look much better.
And there were a few, that because of the low resolution and the very strong lossy compression, they just looks very bad.

My question is, how I should shere the complete background-pack?

I only playing the free version, on a Linux machine (I installed it from the AUR-repository), so I worked on those backgrounds.
I don't know if they are the same on the more updated Steam and Itch versions.

Also there is 2 picture (RITUALSBG.BMP and SKILLSBG.BMP) which are not in the "/usr/share/urw3/truegfx/" folder as the ohers.
They are under "~/.config/urw3-Linux/".
Also I don't have a clue where all the files are stored under different OS.

So how I should share my finished work?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 06:15:04 PM by HUNterHUN »

Night

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 01:19:25 AM »
These look great. I would just make a zip file and upload it to your thread, or make a new one. Easiest way to setup the zip would be:
  • zipfile ->
    • RITUALSBG.bmp
    • SKILLSBG.bmp
    • truegfx ->
      • truegfx files

then people can just open up the zip and drag it ontop of their UnrealWorld folder to overwrite. (at least on windows)
URW Character Menu - Cheating menu by a player, for the players.
URW Character Designer - Design your characters sprite!

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 09:21:02 PM »
There are few pictures that just doesn't seems to look good, but after enhacing them they look much better.
Like the "origin.jpg" which is an inside of a wooden cabin.
The original is almost look like it is a grayscale image, but it is not.
It is a dark picture, but still it colourful, as you can see on my enhanced version.

One and a half cent from my behalf. It's actually smoke sauna. The origin.
The experience is dark, almost grayscale. If one has been inside one, they may get the feeling that the image is ought to transfer.

- Sami | UnReal World creator

HUNterHUN

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 09:27:04 PM »
These look great. I would just make a zip file and upload it to your thread, or make a new one. Easiest way to setup the zip would be:
  • zipfile ->
    • RITUALSBG.bmp
    • SKILLSBG.bmp
    • truegfx ->
      • truegfx files

then people can just open up the zip and drag it ontop of their UnrealWorld folder to overwrite. (at least on windows)

Thanks. Than I will make a .ZIP archive and post it to the mod releases section.

(I edit my post here, and move the pictures and the description to there.)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 09:36:58 PM »
I also remind people to check credits-and-copyrights.txt file to be found in truegfx folder.
Some of the images are creative commons, or by dev team, and we allow the modification and adaptation of those within the UnReal World game context.
However, some images are UrW-licensed work of artists/photographers who have not allowed modification, adaptation and third-party distribution of their images.

HUNterHUN

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 09:40:14 PM »
There are few pictures that just doesn't seems to look good, but after enhacing them they look much better.
Like the "origin.jpg" which is an inside of a wooden cabin.
The original is almost look like it is a grayscale image, but it is not.
It is a dark picture, but still it colourful, as you can see on my enhanced version.

One and a half cent from my behalf. It's actually smoke sauna. The origin.
The experience is dark, almost grayscale. If one has been inside one, they may get the feeling that the image is ought to transfer.

I see. But one must be a finnish to know that. ;)
I never-ever even think that it could be anything else, than a dark wood cabin. I recognized the "fire pit" in the darkness and it just looks like a normal firepit; one who lives in this cabin cook there, use it in the winter to keep her/himselfe warm.

Also the name of the file (origin) and that it can be seen in the start of the character creation, it also made me thought; this is the house, the home of our character where she/he born; "be brought into the unreal world".

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 09:49:07 PM »
Also the name of the file (origin) and that it can be seen in the start of the character creation, it also made me thought; this is the house, the home of our character where she/he born; "be brought into the unreal world".

That's some good thinking. The origin indeed refers to the birth as well. It's just that saunas were used for giving birth.

HUNterHUN

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 09:57:35 PM »
I also remind people to check credits-and-copyrights.txt file to be found in truegfx folder.
Some of the images are creative commons, or by dev team, and we allow the modification and adaptation of those within the UnReal World game context.
However, some images are UrW-licensed work of artists/photographers who have not allowed modification, adaptation and third-party distribution of their images.

And when it comes to "modding", and all those background pictures, how about them?
I don't changed them just enhanced them, so graphical enhancement to all the vanilla pictures from the game, than how it is possible to release them?
The enhanced, but otherwise not modified vanilla backgrounds that I made is just a mod for the game, and the ZIP file is only uploaded here on the official forum.

HUNterHUN

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 09:59:34 PM »

That's some good thinking. The origin indeed refers to the birth as well. It's just that saunas were used for giving birth.

Wow. Interesting. Today I learned a new thing about those nothern people... thx.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 10:21:13 PM »

And when it comes to "modding", and all those background pictures, how about them?
I don't changed them just enhanced them, so graphical enhancement to all the vanilla pictures from the game, than how it is possible to release them?
The enhanced, but otherwise not modified vanilla backgrounds that I made is just a mod for the game, and the ZIP file is only uploaded here on the official forum.

Those images that are not allowed for adaptation or third-party distribution can not be modified or distributed in any way. Or at least I am no-one to allow that on behalf of the copyright owners. See, we have originally purchased and licensed those works to be used within UnReal World and in its' distribution package and the contracts were made to allow that use, and that use only. Unfortunately, I'm no position to allow exceptions, even if it would be uploading only here-or-there with only little of this-or-that.

HUNterHUN

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 10:32:38 PM »

Those images that are not allowed for adaptation or third-party distribution can not be modified or distributed in any way. Or at least I am no-one to allow that on behalf of the copyright owners. See, we have originally purchased and licensed those works to be used within UnReal World and in its' distribution package and the contracts were made to allow that use, and that use only. Unfortunately, I'm no position to allow exceptions, even if it would be uploading only here-or-there with only little of this-or-that.

That's unfortunate.  No licensed ones are allowed for modding. Thanks again to clarifying that.