Topic: Item Disappearance on Crash  (Read 2839 times)

Lakookoo

« on: July 12, 2021, 08:59:38 PM »
Version 3.63 (Steam and stand-alone), Mac OS 10.15.7.  Several instances of crashes on Steam version when zooming in to my settlement tile, causing the loss of multiple dogs, prompted me to re-up my stand-alone version.  Same thing occurred in the stand-alone game, first with replacement dogs (goodbye, sweet Boudicca, Odin, and Loki!) and now -- worse -- with my punt having disappeared from under me some way out from shore.

I fear I shall not survive this.  Right now I am standing on the water (!) contemplating a swim in icy seas.

Ideas?

ineedcords

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 09:50:44 PM »
Sorry to hear that. I played a few hundred hours on Mac with zero crashes, I am not sure what could be the culprit in your setup. Hopefully someone more experienced with Mac crashes (or devs) will comment on this...

Meanwhile, the only thing I can recommend is frequent manual backups of the savegame directory - again this won't help against crashes but at least you will be able to go back to a known-good-state, at worst losing few minutes of game play rather than whole playthrough.

Edit: and welcome to the forums :)
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Lakookoo

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 12:09:28 AM »
So, my guy made it to shore ... unwielded his paddle, dropped everything on the water's surface, and dog-paddled the ten or so spaces to shore.  Then (ahem) I edited a .txt file to allow me to magically create a stone knife and axe, to build a fire (he was Numbingly Cold, poor guy) and then build a raft onshore. I figured a small cheat seemed justified, since this pickle was not really of his own making.  Last, he paddled back out to his floating pile of stuff, gathered it all up, and back to the settlement, famished and tired but alive!

Now I'll go save a copy of his data file, I guess, since I'm pretty sure that this will not be the last time.  Maybe it's time to go to 3.70?   o_O

ineedcords

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 12:31:50 AM »
Glad you sorted it out and I think that small cheat was very justified (so wasn't a cheat after all!).

I only tested version 3.70beta on Windows so far and no play-time stability issues. There are several news.txt pages worth of improvements (added mechanics) and I think this beta version is a massive improvement overall. Definitely recommend taking a backup of your savegame first then giving it a go - if you have time to test, with a savegame backup you won't lose anything anyway.

As a FYI this entry is from news.txt (v.3.70beta3):
- fixed: high CPU usage, especially on some Linux and OSX systems

The game reached very high CPU usage on some systems, which is now hopefully fixed. It was related to reading incoming SDL events which are now waited rather than constantly polled.
I don't know if this is actually related to your current stability problem at all. If you would like to investigate perhaps you can try checking system load in console with 'w' command or 'top' command etc. (if not a console guy, alternatively you could use "Mac equivalent of Microsoft Windows task manager" sorry I can't remember the name of it now).
Looking at CPU load right after a crash, does trend data show excessive CPU usage with a sudden massive drop after game crash?

Overall, even if your issue is not the one mentioned above (and even if you see no stability improvement), by upgrading you would be taking advantage of newly added nice mechanics (too many to list but checkout news.txt postupgrade).

There is one known issue to be aware of: [3.70b] Hanging when changing setting at start https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6467.0

There *was* another known issue but I think it is fixed in latest beta3; the wildly fluctuating weather issue affecting only migrated characters.
If you do experience it, out this thread and just delete one file to get rid of the issue: https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6485.msg19270#msg19270

This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

anything