Topic: Wild animal trapped inside tree wall surrounding 8 neighbouring tiles  (Read 2704 times)

ineedcords

« on: June 18, 2021, 03:01:38 PM »
Just saw this in a YouTube video and thought I should report it. I searched for keyword 'trapped' and didn't see another earlier report on this.

Jonathan Ferguson's epic 200-episode long playlist, episode 131, 47m55s mark features a small forest reindeer stag that is trapped inside a tree wall, surrounding its 8 sides.
Here is a video link with time jump to the relevant part of the video: https://youtu.be/pJXNYCU-3Vg?list=PLXqodERK6ClIiPYJooxj1fBjjLw08Mid3&t=2875

Screenshot: showing reindeer with trees in all 8 neighbouring  tiles.

I wonder if it would be possible (and performance-wise make sense) to add a check to the spawn code ensure animals don't end up in this situation which should not be possible and probably unrealistic and immersion-lowering. Thanks!

Edit1: better worded the Subject.

Edit2: I was in the game just now, and noticed one other thing which I would like to add here even though this one below is not a "bug" I suppose it might be seen roughly in the same category (i.e.: post-spawn sanity checks to create better/more believable game worlds). As shown in the screenshot below, villagers placed a kota in a way that a boulder is blocking the entrance. I imagine, sane people normally won't do that ever so perhaps this is one more "post-spawn sanity check" item to check against to create higher quality game worlds?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 11:25:21 AM by ineedcords »
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Night

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 08:47:57 PM »
This is pretty close to getting struck by lightning in a video game, considering the statistics of an animal (ground bound as well) being stuck in that exact spot with that exact configuration of trees out of the 215000~ grid of rendered tiles. Somewhat of a special thing to see in terms of the virtual.
URW Character Menu - Cheating menu by a player, for the players.
URW Character Designer - Design your characters sprite!

ineedcords

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 11:38:18 AM »
This is pretty close to getting struck by lightning in a video game, considering the statistics of an animal (ground bound as well) being stuck in that exact spot with that exact configuration of trees out of the 215000~ grid of rendered tiles. Somewhat of a special thing to see in terms of the virtual.
Didn't have a clue about grid tile count - wow that's a big big world!

Yes, I get that it has pretty low chances of occurring. As far as I can remember, in my games I have never seen this in my many hours of UrW. Having said that, if it is not going to be a huge performance drain, I would think it is better to eliminate this unrealistic setup completely in order to to make the virtual game world look one step closer to the real one (admittedly a small step).

Edit: While browsing this forum, spotted a similar issue with house spawns, here is a picture:

And here is the forum post: https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=59.msg3974#msg3974
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 10:51:42 PM by ineedcords »
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.