Topic: Repairing sneak system.  (Read 3493 times)

Homocommando

« on: April 08, 2021, 01:05:46 AM »
It is just ridiculous to me, that you can't sneak up on a boar, because bird is sitting on a nearby tree. And I think it should be changed, so you are always able to sneak, and one creature can be not aware, that you are around, even if you are being seen by many others.
But herd/pack animals should also warn others about your presence, so it would be almost impossible to sneak up on any of them, if one notices you.

PALU

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 10:16:11 AM »
The current system is a simplification. While I don't think it would be that hard to have the game keep track of whether each individual animal is aware of your presence, providing a UI feedback of it would be tricky. One effect of the simplification is that you've got an indicator telling you whether you're undetected or not, which is useful, but not realistic. With a relation with each individual animal you can't have a unified indication, but would have to examine each animal of interest to judge whether it seems to notice you or not. Unlike real life, where that feedback is automatically fed to your brain from your sensory organs, you'd have to somehow query the game for it. One tedious way would be to look at the creatures of interest every turn, another might be to mark an animal as being of interest and have its assumed status displayed where the current sneaking status is, while a third might be to have different animal symbols or symbol modifiers to indicate their perceived state.

But yes, a more advanced system that's not annoyingly key/click intensive would be more immersive.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 06:21:14 PM »
PALU mentions indicator to tell if character has been spotted, I’d amend it to say “indicator to show if your character THINKS he/she has been spotted”

While ago I had a suggestion to add floating markers on NPC similar to anyone/thing aggroing.

The same mechanism could be used to point out wary—alert looking creatures. Hares pointing ears high, elks and reindeer looking straight at the ‘suspect activity/area’
    Have them display maybe an orange question mark above them similar to the red quotes. The displayed distance for it should also account characters eyesight attribute.

PALU

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 12:02:13 AM »
I tried to make it clear the status ought to be what the character would think the status was, rather than telepathic knowledge of the actual status ("seems to notice", "assumed status"), so I think we're in agreement.

Ara D.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 09:05:49 PM »
Also depends on the bird, several kinds of birds will alert call for predators. Other animals will also respond to call.

Homocommando

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 09:11:44 PM »
What kinds of birds?

PALU

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 12:00:47 AM »
Many social birds issue warnings about predators that may be considered threatening. Corvids (i.e. crows and their relatives) can do it, seagulls can do it, etc.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 05:35:05 AM »
Doves, quails and pheasants do it too.
They have their “idle chatter / I’m here — where’s everyone else” and they have their “oh crud oh crud oh crud”, also “hey y’all, I heard/saw something suspicious” (which often is sounded out right before the “oh crud” call)

anything