Topic: 3.63 Indoor, high flying raven  (Read 2872 times)

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« on: January 10, 2021, 06:03:33 PM »
The raven got in the open door. Shooed it away. Went on homestead chores, walked in the cabin and the raven was back inside. Closed the door and decided to remove the raven from genepool (can't let them get smarter and stronger and take over entire North)
The bird was flying high, so couldn't hit it with a sword nor spear. I didn't build the cabin that high... (some arrows took the bird down eventually)

Expectation: bird indoors can't fly high out of range of melee weapons.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 06:05:19 PM by JP_Finn »

Frostbit

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 07:13:24 PM »
You should be extra careful in the coming days. This is what a Google search revealed:
A bird that flies into a house foretells an important message. However, if the bird dies, or is white, this foretells death

I've had the same thing happen in my cave houses.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 10:06:18 PM »
The bird came after Teppo’s dog was killed by a bear... waterfowl are carriers of messages/will/“selfness” of souls of the deceased in Old Finnish beliefs. My characters don’t hunt waterfowl. Especially Swans with their long neck; to reach across Tuoni’s River, the river to take souls “selfness” to the realm of the dead: should be revered.

Ravens, might be preferred birds of Odin/Wodan, but he has no power in these parts of the North.

PALU

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 11:30:28 AM »
It's been that way for quite a few years (can't say anything about how it was before I started playing UrW).

Throwing closing the door and throwing rocks at the bird will eventually get it. It's a good thing UrW doesn't get your items damaged by the rocks throw indoors...

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 11:03:00 PM »
Archery/spear practice. As the animal isn’t trapped, it’ll live a long time unless hit.

But still seems wrong one can’t reach indoor flying bird with a sword nor spear.

PALU

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 11:12:08 AM »
I completely agree that it doesn't make logical sense for a bird to fly high indoors (especially in old style buildings where the ceiling height tends to be low).