Topic: Viable bait for deer/elk  (Read 3062 times)

Tom H

« on: November 25, 2020, 03:41:45 AM »
There was a good thread a while back on what baits were useful for various animals. I had a new character then and tried baiting with a few 'mystery' roots, those his Herbal skills could not identify, and found one called a 'bizarre root' that deer and elk seemed to love.

Now, finally, after two game-years, his Herbalist skills have identified it as BOGBEAN root. Good trapping! :D

Dark Art

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 09:09:05 AM »
I never tried to figure out what most of flora from the game would translate into my native tounge. I mean, I can make a good guess for most of it, but this bogbean and most of the "pipes" were just names. After reading your post, I decided to have a look at what is this bogbean really is. It turns out I know the thing pretty damn well :) A bit too well in fact. When we were kids, my grand mother used to ran me and my cousin ragged picking their leaves from nearby swampy area while they bloomed and made us drink this rather nasty tasting tea/tonic that made us kinda sleepy when we had stomach aches. You say elk likes this stuff?? Man.... its BITTER like you wouldnt believe! Really helps with he stomach though :)

Tom H

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 06:50:38 PM »
I never tried to figure out what most of flora from the game would translate into my native tounge. I mean, I can make a good guess for most of it, but this bogbean and most of the "pipes" were just names. After reading your post, I decided to have a look at what is this bogbean really is. It turns out I know the thing pretty damn well :) A bit too well in fact. When we were kids, my grand mother used to ran me and my cousin ragged picking their leaves from nearby swampy area while they bloomed and made us drink this rather nasty tasting tea/tonic that made us kinda sleepy when we had stomach aches. You say elk likes this stuff?? Man.... its BITTER like you wouldnt believe! Really helps with he stomach though :)

That is so cool! My Korean wife is always bringing plants from her garden that, to her, are food, but I would never have known about them.

Anyway, these are Sami's animals. Who knows what he forced them to eat before they found my 'bizarre' roots? heh

JP_Finn

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 07:59:44 PM »
Cervids eat leaves, fresh shoots, grasses, flowers, 'weeds', lichen(in the north of north), and in the dead of winter even the bark of willow, aspen, rowan: pretty much any softwood deciduous trees.
And of course mushrooms and berries when available.

Sadly, URW Cervids do not seem to eat mushrooms, nor berries. Grasses like flax go untouched in the open and when piled for fodder for the critters, as hoarding isn't fair and we should give back the excess, Spirits will remember.
I've not tried saplings, but anyway, when saplings are freshly growing, they're everywhere and the beasts have no need to go eat that one on the trap.

FWIF/IRL, kale in last few years has been trendy "super-food", we would plant kale and also cabbage, peas, radishes, turnips and oats, on fields that are scheduled for fallow. To increase the carrying capacity for hares, deer and moose. Maybe even attract doves, grouses and pheasants

anything