Topic: [Solved - 3.63] Line “eastm.dat notfouDV” is displayed instead of NPC's name  (Read 5700 times)

paulkorotoon

« on: November 02, 2020, 02:50:47 PM »
Just noticed this strange thing. Never happened before. It's the first NPC I met playing this character.

Looks like an error message, but I can't even guess what's the reason. Save is here.

My UrW is clean Steam copy, no mods (but a few custom portraits), no messing with game/save files except custom pc-male.png.

UPD: Reinstalling the game fixed everything (yet that poor adventurer will be known as eastm.dat notfouDV forever).

Spoiler: screenshot • show

« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 09:08:50 AM by Sami »
Biggest Russian UrW fan

paulkorotoon

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 03:05:19 PM »
The same thing, in the nearest village.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:35:42 PM by paulkorotoon »
Biggest Russian UrW fan

paulkorotoon

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 03:09:17 PM »
The same thing, playing another character. I suppose something's gone wrong with the game itself, gonna try reinstalling.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:35:55 PM by paulkorotoon »
Biggest Russian UrW fan

Credit

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 12:18:38 PM »
Those files like eastm.dat is a text file that just contains a list of male names for the eastern cultures.
Are you sure the file was present? (eastm.dat notfouD=not found?)
Because if it wasn't, it looks like a normal error message (from a programming point of view), and the reason his name is that forever is that it is saved to the characters save folder. name.VIL if I'm not mistaken, thus even if the file was redownloaded, it wont fix the save files for your char.

Perhaps others can correct my limit info or give more insights.

paulkorotoon

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 03:59:59 PM »
@Credit,  I had tried searhing, .dat files containing names weren't present before I reinstalled the game. Don't know why. Now they're here, things are fine.

I just feel a little sad about that adventurer. He's gonna have difficulties explaining others why he's got such name...
Biggest Russian UrW fan

Credit

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 04:16:06 PM »
Again, I'm pretty sure you can delete .vil and his name is forgotten and will be granted a new one and maybe even new items.
Only disclaimer is I'm not the dev and maybe not with active quests.

paulkorotoon

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 04:37:28 PM »
Didn't know about the deleting thing, thanks you.
Biggest Russian UrW fan

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 08:06:52 PM »
@paulkorotoon , and as always before deleting files. Make a backup. Move / copy to another folder. Or rename by adding something like .old after the real file extension (if any)

anything