Topic: Finding my arrows  (Read 11914 times)

BTA

« on: October 10, 2020, 03:44:40 AM »
I pray to the URW Gods on High for a spell and a device (divining rod) and an animal companion command (fetch) to retrieve arrows I shot that landed off in the distance. I love my broadhead arrows and it pains me to think of them lost and alone in the wild, orphaned from all that is good and kind.

and an animal, three "an" in a row

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 05:43:33 AM »
 The standard fix is to color your arrows making them easier to find.
The files in \truetile wp-(whatever arrow).png
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

MrMotorhead

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 02:45:04 AM »
Losing arrows drives me nuts too.  Its one of the things that has lead me to favor hunting (animals) with javelins instead.

In my estimation, it's still easier than finding arrows in the real world.  This is my memory of having a bow as a kid.  I lost many an arrow in the woods near my house.  Thinking back to the UnReal world, it seems like shooting an arrow into a snow covered ground would be nearly impossible to find.

BTA

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 04:18:37 PM »
The standard fix is to color your arrows making them easier to find.

What color is "the standard fix"? That is, what color have people found most effective for finding lost arrows?

I agree with MrMotorhead, real arrows are difficult to find in the real world. But then, In the real world, I would never in my life be hunting large bears or people, but especially not skilled and well equipped warriors with my composite bow and broadhead arrows.

BTA

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 05:07:45 PM »

That does not change the small, thin, dark line image of an arrow on the ground, it only changes the image in my inventory.

PALU

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 06:37:23 PM »
It does work for me, changing both the inventory and image on the ground. I've got no idea why it won't work for you.

I've made my arrows yellow-orange, leaving the tip and tail with their original color. I've also recolored my javelin. It's a color that tends to be visible even when behind trees, although it matches some mushrooms.

Privateer

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 07:09:36 PM »

That does not change the small, thin, dark line image of an arrow on the ground, it only changes the image in my inventory.

I generally color the shaft with 2~3 colors so the stand out against most backgrounds.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

BTA

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 07:57:03 PM »
Merely saving the game, changing the file and reloading was not enough. I had to shutdown URW and reopen URW. The file size of wp-bharrow.png is 34x34 pixels. I looked for images of broadhead arrows online to alter the color of the resized image but decided to get a less detailed image. The result is laughable but effective.

paulkorotoon

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 08:23:52 PM »
Loosing arrows is one of things that make UrW feel so realistic to me. After all, feeling pain is an important part of playing roguelikes.
Biggest Russian UrW fan

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 08:04:44 AM »
Loosing arrows is one of things that make UrW feel so realistic to me. After all, feeling pain is an important part of playing roguelikes.

And that’s why I fletch mine with bright red hens and white cock. Wooden shafts.
Or blaze orange hens and bright pink cock feather on the aluminum ones. Never got into carbon-fiber ones.

Almost any grass is a black hole for arrows.

Ara D.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 04:04:49 PM »
My only grumble about lost arrows is related to large open areas and the top down view. I wish there was some way to get a clue as to how far it flew which I feel is reasonable when in the more treeless maps.

trowftd

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 04:46:02 PM »
My kind of problem with the arrows is that whenever I fire an arrow to an animal that is at the same level of height with me the arrows seems to fly away a lot. Especially in the mires that don't really have that much trees.

When you think about real life obviously it should be really hard for you to actually find one in the mires but because the arrow buries itself in the ground. I mostly lose my arrows because they fly so far away. I don't know if the arrow bury itself in the game or I am just bad at finding my arrows  ;D

BTA

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 02:31:51 AM »
I found my URW arrows 1.5 screens away from where I shot them. I do not shoot at what I can not see, so at the furthest range, I shoot from the middle of the screen to the outer edge of the screen. And, I try to get within half that range with my fine longbow and 90% skill because my goal is to hit what I am shooting at.

Elk are my most common target. Bear are much better for my DIY projects like clothing and food. And, Njerpez warriors will either make me rich or dead. We haven't decided which of the two yet.

That reminds me, I find Njerpez warriors far from their homeland and, when I go there, to their homeland, I see great places to hunt with lots of game and many trees in the forests and llots of coastline. So what motivates tehm to leave home and go all the way to Driik?

PALU

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 10:46:34 AM »
Fighting Njerp warriors are likely to make you both rich AND dead, unless you quit while on top, and even then a chance encounter will probably be the end if nothing else has claimed you before that.

What motivated the Njerps?
- Insane xenophobic hatred towards everyone not of their culture.
- Greed&sloth: Why work for a pittance when you can rob your neighbors?
- In fact, as the only true humans, it's both their right and duty to rob and kill the neighbors.
- Might makes right. If I can take it from you it makes it my right to take it.

or any of the other excuses peoples make up to commit genocide and get rich in the process, or just generally murder and plunder.

paulkorotoon

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 11:04:43 AM »
I'm used to imagine Njerpez are hunting for slaves.
Biggest Russian UrW fan

anything