Topic: [Not a bug - 3.63] Items disappear off an unconscious enemy.  (Read 5344 times)

Hirvimieli

« on: October 07, 2020, 07:32:52 PM »
I hired a helping hand from nearby seal tribe village, then told the NPC to fell some trees using a handaxe which I gave him. I let him fell around 20 trees until I decided to kill him (stabbed in the legs with a knife, he fell to the ground, then in the head twice until he fell unconscious), killed him with a stab to the skull. After this I shut the game down (most recent Steam version) using task manager (I did not save).

When I loaded up the game again, the NPC was alive again, just unconscious again, so I killed him, but most of his items had disappeared. I know that he had a northern knife, the handaxe which I gave him, clothes and some food (I know this from the message log). All that was left were his woolen trousers and nettle cloak which had somehow been unequipped from him and were laying on the ground. I know that at some point during the fight he dropped his wielded knife, yet it too is nowhere to be found.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 08:54:55 AM by Sami »

MrMotorhead

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 08:53:18 PM »
When the game crashes (or is crashed) there is a chance for items to disappear or be duplicated.

In my opinion this can't be considered a bug, rather a consequence of how items and mobs are handled by the game.

Do you know how to make a manual save of a character's folder that can be used as a restore point?

Hirvimieli

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 09:39:10 PM »
When the game crashes (or is crashed) there is a chance for items to disappear or be duplicated.

In my opinion this can't be considered a bug, rather a consequence of how items and mobs are handled by the game.

Do you know how to make a manual save of a character's folder that can be used as a restore point?

Yes, I know how to make a save like that and do it quite often, but didn't bother to do it before this. I should have probably predicted this happening, but it's still annoying.

Privateer

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 11:17:57 PM »
As stated, closing the game in a disorderly manner (not using menus or options) destroys pending updates to open files which the game uses. Chances are that the npc items were not recorded 'properly' before the game closed and thus produced the 'as was' in the finalized files.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 04:20:49 PM »
Indeed as Privateer mentioned, any pending chances to the items (wear, carrying, wielding etc) won’t get written in the open files on crash. Also worth note is that map load (zoom in/out) does not do 100% save. Creature statuses can go haywire. Dog can end up dead, opponents can be alive, even killed before. Items go missing or get duplicated... entire inventories and creatures met can chance too.

Clean save&exit for the win!

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 08:54:34 AM »
Like the people already mentioned some data can be lost if the game is shut down, or crashes. There are many save points along the regular gameplay even without manual saving, but they don't cover all the cases.

It's kind of like "I wrote a novel on some text editor, and then shut it down from task manager, and my last chapter just disappeared." So these aren't bugs per se.

We could add more auto-save intervals, but there would always be a gap that's not covered. Or if there wasn't, the gameplay would be awfully slow due constant saving.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything