Topic: Hillforts and tribal protected areas  (Read 5109 times)

Lopo772

« on: August 19, 2020, 10:25:25 PM »
It's well established that hillforts were a thing in prehistoric Finland, and I think it'd be a fun addition to have them dotted around the landscape. Maybe with alloted "chiefs" that consider themselves an authority in the area, offering special quests and such. I know that the Driikiläiset fortified cities are kind of this, they are still not a straight representation of this phenomenon, which occured all throughout pre-historic Finland.

It'd be a lot to add, but just a suggestion.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 02:10:57 AM »
Yes please.
Should also include a watch tower / hunting tower. And a ladder to climb up and down. To the tower. *

The hill forts should be spawned on the edges of the cultural area (not extending the area like settlements and villages do)and only spawning on hills, cliffs or mountains.

*maybe allow building fixed ladders to caves, cabin roof access et cetera. Notched log type, not 2 beams and rungs.

Petike

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 09:58:03 PM »
You could also have occassional fortified settlements in marshy areas and on lakes. Either on a small artificial island or a larger natural island. Lowland fortified settlements did occur in prehistory and antiquity, though hill forts at elevated locations were generally more popular. I think the obvious fortification-heavy culture would be the Driik, but a few of the other sedentary cultures with larger settlements could build simpler defensive palisades and so on.

I tend to occassionally build improvised hillforts of a sort, if I have a homestead (a log cabin and all the accessories) built on a hill top. I craft a lot of wooden stakes and then build a series of fences. Not much defence against intruders, certainly less so than a palisade, but it is easier to defend your home if you build several defensive rings of wooden fences. :D

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 01:38:59 PM »
It's well established that hillforts were a thing in prehistoric Finland, and I think it'd be a fun addition to have them dotted around the landscape. Maybe with alloted "chiefs" that consider themselves an authority in the area, offering special quests and such. I know that the Driikiläiset fortified cities are kind of this, they are still not a straight representation of this phenomenon, which occured all throughout pre-historic Finland.

Hillforts are something we’ve pretty much always thought of being such an essential element that they should be added. And I guess they’ve been also suggested before.
Yet they seize to exist in the game. And that’s because, well, we’ve worked on something else instead. But still we cherish the idea of hillforts and would like them to exist in the game one day.
- Sami | UnReal World creator