Topic: [3.63] NPC hunters don't pick up their arrows.  (Read 6531 times)

Teellox

« on: August 18, 2020, 12:29:30 PM »
Version: Unreal World 3.63, Linux/Steam build, unmodded

What happened: Set a small deadfall trap and went about my business. Came back to discover an animal had triggered the trap, but an NPC hunter had killed it (with arrows), and was in the process of skinning and butchering it. However the NPC hunter made no attempt to ever pick up the many arrows that he had shot and left lying around.

What's expected: Hunters pick up arrows they've shot, at least if they're nearby.

Steps to reproduce: Have not attempted to reproduce.

Notes: Not only did the hunter steal my kill, but after butchering the carcass he then set my trap on fire to roast the meat, so I didn't feel so bad about stealing his arrows. I've also come across hunters that weren't stealing my kills, and they don't collect their arrows either.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 04:15:25 PM by Sami »

PALU

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 02:53:52 PM »
I've certainly come across fairly large number of arrows scattered about as well.

Tom H

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 08:33:18 PM »
I have a former Companion who hunts and fells trees in the areas around my settlement. He's never succeeded in returning home.

At one point I found 5 arrows lying around in a relatively small area so I tracked him and returned the arrows. Another time I came upon him yelling that he needed a tool to skin his kill. I gave him my broad knife (I have many) and he happily started skinning his kill. He had several bird skins in his possession already but no bird fat. I guess they don't have the ability to process their furs/skins?

Anyway, I think their quirks give them a bit of personality. Otoh, he's been hanging around for several weeks. The pathing to his village would cross no rivers, so, I don't understand why he hasn't returned home. 

skyleaf

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 06:44:21 AM »
@Tom H
Kind of off-topic, but I am currently searching a former companion who failed to return his village and went missing. Can you provide more information/ details how your former companion behaves right now? Like which area/terrain the companion wander most and is it able to see this companion in zoom-out map? Normally how do you find this companion, or he just stuck in one of the tiles and refuse to leave? Thanks in advance.

Tom H

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 05:17:49 PM »
@Tom H
Kind of off-topic, but I am currently searching a former companion who failed to return his village and went missing. Can you provide more information/ details how your former companion behaves right now? Like which area/terrain the companion wander most and is it able to see this companion in zoom-out map? Normally how do you find this companion, or he just stuck in one of the tiles and refuse to leave? Thanks in advance.

I 'see' him on the Strategic map, in the distance. When I see him it's always within 3 hex areas of my settlement. He has returned to my settlement several times, felling trees (that were part of my fence!) and hunting. It seems he'll chase a bird when hunting, so, he'll move around a lot but I can't say if he travels past that three hex area I see him in.
He does not appear to be intent upon returning to his home village.

It just occurred to me to wonder how he acquired those several bird skins when he had no knife of any kind at the time until I gave him mine?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 05:22:51 PM by Tom H »

甜汤

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 08:15:07 AM »
If you give your companion an instruction to stay somewhere for a short time, and then leave him too far away, he cannot find you, and he cannot tell you when the mission deadline is reached that he is going to return to the village, he will stay where he is

Tom H

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 09:14:20 AM »
 The same former Companion is still in my area. I found him chasing a wounded deer. Two game days later he chased it into my deadfall in the area. I watched as he skinned and butchered it. He left 5 cuts so I took those and reset my trap. heh
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 09:16:17 AM by Tom H »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 11:35:19 AM »
Version: Unreal World 3.63, Linux/Steam build, unmodded

What happened: Set a small deadfall trap and went about my business. Came back to discover an animal had triggered the trap, but an NPC hunter had killed it (with arrows), and was in the process of skinning and butchering it. However the NPC hunter made no attempt to ever pick up the many arrows that he had shot and left lying around.

What's expected: Hunters pick up arrows they've shot, at least if they're nearby.

Steps to reproduce: Have not attempted to reproduce.

Notes: Not only did the hunter steal my kill, but after butchering the carcass he then set my trap on fire to roast the meat, so I didn't feel so bad about stealing his arrows. I've also come across hunters that weren't stealing my kills, and they don't collect their arrows either.

NPCs wisely picking up their shot arrows is simply not featured.
They may do it randomly, on occasion, but the actual mechanics are lacking. Not a bug per se, but just a feature not featured yet.

- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything