Topic: 5 reasons why Unreal World is one of the most original and rewarding games ever,  (Read 6276 times)

challa

« on: August 04, 2020, 01:19:28 PM »
Hello everyone,,

I discovered this game three days earlier at BaseBuildingGames, and reading the description I thought "woah, it looks awesome ! There should be a catch somewhere, this looks too great." I am currently creating my third character, with probably 40 hours into the gaming. Ijust HAVE to share.

1. It is the ultimate survival game.

I remember the hardcore feature in Fallout : New Vegas. I thought it was awesome (it added a need for constant feeding and drinking) and the gaming community thought likewise. UnW is all about that. You need to feed, drink, get warm so as not to die in the winter. You have to sleep. You need to hunt, fish, later grow crops. Sometimes, you will wander for days in the forest, following reindeer tracks leading nowhere, seeing your starvation go up day after day. Out of despair, you may eat a human that happened to pass close enough for you to throw a javelin at his face. If you still got enough strength to gut it.

2. It is a survival game without zombies, and a swordfighting RPG without magic, elves or dwarves.

Seriously, how many of those are out there ? In UnW, no surreal bullshit. The only slightly supernatural thing you may do is a little ritual to help you sleep or for a good hunt. And it may not even work.

I think the success of Mount&Blade or Total War has to do, aside from the great gameplays, with the fact that people start to want realistic video games in a given timeframe. I want my suspension of disbelief.

3. You do not have to go through a concrete wall of a GUI to enjoy it to its full potential.

Granted, it's no Call of Duty. But it's no Dwarf Fortress either. Actually, for a roguelike, it has very decent graphics. And repetitive keyboard smashing is extremely rare. This is one of those games which actually benefits from having the mouse as an optional feature (DF could use a mouse for much more stuff, for christ's sake !). The best thing is the game courses. They act as a tutorial while providing plenty of challenge and throwing you deep into the game. You remember when I said that I had spent 40 hours playing it for the last three days ? That was mostly the beginner's course. Not because it is difficult, but because of the sheer depth in possibilities.

4. You start with a knife. You can end with a mansion with a cellar and a sauna. That you all built yourself.

Minecraft is for pussies.

5. The game is absolutely, completely free and content is constantly added.

In 2013, following the business model of Dwarf Fortress, the game went completely free, with the goal of becoming priced in the future once again. There are updates constantly, and each one adds very much to the game. It is upposed to get a price again once a certain level of completion is achieved. Man, I would pay 40 bucks anytime for the current version.

Final thoughts

I like lists. So do you (I hope).

I had to write this since I got so inspired by this game : it is what I had been looking for years, a real survival game pitting you vs the wilderness ! I remember reading this and thinking how awesome it would be if such a game existed. Little did I know, it did exist.

trowftd

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 01:32:00 PM »
My biggest reason is the 2nd one. I love the fact that this game is not about overpowering and abusing the nature but quite the opposite. You kill too many animals, forest spirits won't give you game, disturb you. It is not about killing everything in sight, you are perfectly fine with the nature.

I just love the message that this game gives to people, it is really close to what I think in real life I guess that's why I love this game.

Erkka

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 03:00:30 PM »
This one, too, was a spam-bot for the post is a copy-paste from a reddit post some years old.

I've seriously tightened the forum anti-spam measures, but still it seems that some bots manage to sneak through. Sigh. Well, I need to think if something more can be done. And in the meantime I'll be manually weeding off the spammer accounts. Fellow forumers, please use the "report to moderator" function when you spot a message which appears to be a copypaste from old forum posts or from reddit or some other urw-related discussion forums.

ps. I'll still leave the copypasted post here, for the content is okay. I just blocked the spam account so that it can't return to edit the post to insert their spam links.
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

trowftd

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 03:28:07 PM »
Well never seen this message before. I guess it was my time to get baited :D

StefanPravda

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 10:32:31 AM »
This one, too, was a spam-bot for the post is a copy-paste from a reddit post some years old.

I've seriously tightened the forum anti-spam measures, but still it seems that some bots manage to sneak through. Sigh. Well, I need to think if something more can be done. And in the meantime I'll be manually weeding off the spammer accounts. Fellow forumers, please use the "report to moderator" function when you spot a message which appears to be a copypaste from old forum posts or from reddit or some other urw-related discussion forums.

ps. I'll still leave the copypasted post here, for the content is okay. I just blocked the spam account so that it can't return to edit the post to insert their spam links.
Add a recaptcha? I only see questions on the Register form.

Setio

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 08:36:27 PM »
Hello everyone,,

I discovered this game three days earlier at BaseBuildingGames, and reading the description I thought "woah, it looks awesome ! There should be a catch somewhere, this looks too great." I am currently creating my third character, with probably 40 hours into the gaming. Ijust HAVE to share.

1. It is the ultimate survival game.

I remember the hardcore feature in Fallout : New Vegas. I thought it was awesome (it added a need for constant feeding and drinking) and the gaming community thought likewise. UnW is all about that. You need to feed, drink, get warm so as not to die in the winter. You have to sleep. You need to hunt, fish, later grow crops. Sometimes, you will wander for days in the forest, following reindeer tracks leading nowhere, seeing your starvation go up day after day. Out of despair, you may eat a human that happened to pass close enough for you to throw a javelin at his face. If you still got enough strength to gut it.

2. It is a survival game without zombies, and a swordfighting RPG without magic, elves or dwarves.

Seriously, how many of those are out there ? In UnW, no surreal bullshit. The only slightly supernatural thing you may do is a little ritual to help you sleep or for a good hunt. And it may not even work.

I think the success of Mount&Blade or Total War has to do, aside from the great gameplays, with the fact that people start to want realistic video games in a given timeframe. I want my suspension of disbelief.

3. You do not have to go through a concrete wall of a GUI to enjoy it to its full potential.

Granted, it's no Call of Duty. But it's no Dwarf Fortress either. Actually, for a roguelike, it has very decent graphics. And repetitive keyboard smashing is extremely rare. This is one of those games which actually benefits from having the mouse as an optional feature (DF could use a mouse for much more stuff, for christ's sake !). The best thing is the game courses. They act as a tutorial while providing plenty of challenge and throwing you deep into the game. You remember when I said that I had spent 40 hours playing it for the last three days ? That was mostly the beginner's course. Not because it is difficult, but because of the sheer depth in possibilities.

4. You start with a knife. You can end with a mansion with a cellar and a sauna. That you all built yourself.

Minecraft is for pussies.

5. The game is absolutely, completely free and content is constantly added.

In 2013, following the business model of Dwarf Fortress, the game went completely free, with the goal of becoming priced in the future once again. There are updates constantly, and each one adds very much to the game. It is upposed to get a price again once a certain level of completion is achieved. Man, I would pay 40 bucks anytime for the current version.

Final thoughts

I like lists. So do you (I hope).

I had to write this since I got so inspired by this game : it is what I had been looking for years, a real survival game pitting you vs the wilderness ! I remember reading this and thinking how awesome it would be if such a game existed. Little did I know, it did exist.

Please try The Wild Darkness by PoPeyed inc, it similar but have not social feature as URW have. Enormous Elk may become partner for each other to develop perfect RPG game.

Privateer

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 10:29:00 PM »
Please try The Wild Darkness by PoPeyed inc, it similar but have not social feature as URW have. Enormous Elk may become partner for each other to develop perfect RPG game.

This game won't play on my potato  ;)
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

maxwelll

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 10:32:01 AM »
It is a definitive endurance game.

I recollect the bad-to-the-bone component in Fallout : New Vegas. I thought it was great (it included a requirement for steady taking care of and drinking) and the gaming network thought in like manner. UnW is about that. You have to take care of, drink, get warm so as not to bite the dust in the winter. You need to rest. You have to chase, fish, later develop crops. Some of the time, you will meander for a considerable length of time in the woods, following reindeer tracks turning into dead end, seeing your starvation go up for a long time. Out of gloom, you may eat a human that happened to pass close enough for you to toss a lance at his face. On the off chance that you despite everything got enough solidarity to gut it.

EDIT by Erkka: removed a suspicious link. I'm curious to see how the poster of this reply will react. Do you happen to be a spambot?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 11:05:41 AM by Erkka »

trowftd

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 12:12:10 PM »
Maxwell is definitely a spambot as he just copied the first reason and probably put it into translate or something and posted a link under it.

Erkka

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 12:24:18 PM »
Hehe, silly me!

I tried searching the web with pieces of text taken from Maxwelll's post, looking if it is a direct copy from a reddit post or something. After several searches I found nothing and was puzzled =)

So, I'll leave this here, if for nothing else then to remind me that next time when I suspect a spambot has got through our defences, I should remember to check both our own forums and reddit posts (and other possible sources of copypaste). When this type of spambots arrived, they started with copypasting old forum topics, and the next generation was smart enough to copypaste posts from reddit. Somehow I already forgot that they had this habit of copypasting (slightly modified pieces) or older forum posts.
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo