Topic: [Mod Idea] Training combat skills at the expense of weapon condition  (Read 3933 times)

White Hair

« on: August 03, 2020, 04:24:32 AM »
I would like to train combat skills in a consistent manner. I also tend to have spare weapons lying around my camp. I figured a decent way to solve both issues would be to "sacrifice" weapon condition in order to train a skill. The amount of experience you get from each session and the number of sessions a weapon would provide depends on the type of weapon and its quality. For instance, a crude stone axe would train the axe skill very slowly, whereas a masterwork battleaxe would be far more effective. What do you guys think?

paulkorotoon

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 07:45:56 PM »
It will be too easy to grind skills, I suppose. Training weapons mastery by only fighting a real enemy/prey seems realistic and fair enough.
Biggest Russian UrW fan

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 08:03:53 PM »
It will be too easy to grind skills, I suppose. Training weapons mastery by only fighting a real enemy/prey seems realistic and fair enough.

Well, that’s not the case. All but unarmed can be trained by throwing the weapon type repeatedly. E.g. throwing rocks or clubs increases club skill. Throwing swords, increases sword skill.

But, you can choose if you want to train in that way. Same as if grinding in way X, is actually any different from hacking the memory and assign wanted values outright.
Difference is in the the spent In Real World accomplishing the wanted outcome.

Personally, my characters don’t go throw (non-throwing) weapons around. I don’t see it as viable way ancestors would’ve treated their expensive, and crucial belongings.

paulkorotoon

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 08:40:28 PM »
Throwing swords, increases sword skill.
Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Personally, my characters don’t go throw (non-throwing) weapons around. I don’t see it as viable way ancestors would’ve treated their expensive, and crucial belongings.
Сompletely agree. Can't even imagine a person actually throwing a damn SWORD.

I don't even train bow by shooting blunt arrows at a trapped prey. Not going to use the throwing trick, as well.

But, you can choose if you want to train in that way.
Sure, everyone plays the way he wants. My own opinion is, weapon skills are meant to be trained in an honest (and a hard) way. At least, in terms of realism (and maybe roleplaying too).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 08:45:00 PM by paulkorotoon »
Biggest Russian UrW fan

Privateer

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 09:19:23 PM »
I have a weapon/combat training mod. It is more of a lore 'theme' based but shows the basic concepts.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

anything