Topic: Let salt be salt, not preservative  (Read 7021 times)

skyleaf

« on: July 21, 2020, 04:21:23 AM »
Search through the suggestion reply marathon and the forum, I am quite surprised that nobody suggest salt shall be count as seasoning, as it should be.
It is kind of disappointing that I cannot add salt into my lovely hare meat stew :( 

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 09:48:28 PM »
Salt in modern use is mainly flavor enhancer. (MSG/monosodium glutamate is a salt too)
Pre-refrigeration salt was (still is today) a preservative.
Adding salt to a stew is pretty new invention.
When meat used was already heavy salted, adding any more salt to the food wasn’t needed. Often the salted meat was soaked first to reduce salt.
(Still hoping Sami will change the meat recipes to ask for cuts of meat vs pounds of meat. Then we could use dried meat in stews et cetera)

Using juniper berries, birch leaves, heather, marjoram, nettle and so on has longer history in cooking than salt as flavor enhancer /seasoning.

Tom H

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 11:03:08 PM »
However, there were cultures that considered that offering bread and salt at a meeting was a sign of welcome and a guarantee of peace. In Italy, the first press of olive oil is celebrated with flat bread, sprinkled with rock salt and olive oil.

Typically, coastal peoples had easy access to salt, whereas inland peoples often had to travel to salt sources and carry back what was needed. Where there were few traders, salt was a greatly desired product that was hard to come by... just like in the Unreal World. heh

Mati256

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 01:13:13 AM »
Salt in modern use is mainly flavor enhancer. (MSG/monosodium glutamate is a salt too)
Pre-refrigeration salt was (still is today) a preservative.
Adding salt to a stew is pretty new invention.
When meat used was already heavy salted, adding any more salt to the food wasn’t needed. Often the salted meat was soaked first to reduce salt.
(Still hoping Sami will change the meat recipes to ask for cuts of meat vs pounds of meat. Then we could use dried meat in stews et cetera)

Using juniper berries, birch leaves, heather, marjoram, nettle and so on has longer history in cooking than salt as flavor enhancer /seasoning.

You can mod thee recipes to ask for dried meat.

zwierzax

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 08:11:13 AM »
If not restriction from taking some stuff from bags, salt will be best for currency like it was in ancient times.
You know that salary comes from being paid in salt ?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 08:48:47 AM by zwierzax »

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 04:39:03 AM »

That’s quadrupling the recipes. Raw, salted, smoked and dried. And same for fish.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 04:41:44 AM »
However, there were cultures that considered that offering bread and salt at a meeting was a sign of welcome and a guarantee of peace. In Italy, the first press of olive oil is celebrated with flat bread, sprinkled with rock salt and olive oil.

Typically, coastal peoples had easy access to salt, whereas inland peoples often had to travel to salt sources and carry back what was needed. Where there were few traders, salt was a greatly desired product that was hard to come by... just like in the Unreal World. heh
Traditional house-warming gift in Finland is: rye bread, salt and moonshine/vodka. Bread so the house would never go hungry, salt so the house would never be poor and liquor so the house would never get sick.

Dark Art

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 06:11:48 AM »

That’s quadrupling the recipes. Raw, salted, smoked and dried. And same for fish.

Look for Rain's Cookery. Its a very very neat cooking mod that I have been (with a few minor changes) using for years. While you are at it, might as well grab his cloth/weaving mod :)

Plotinus

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 07:46:10 AM »

You put it like this:
Code: [Select]
{* cut} then it accepts raw, salted, smoked or dried meat cuts.

Alas there is not a similar workaround for fish.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 06:31:36 PM »
Search through the suggestion reply marathon and the forum, I am quite surprised that nobody suggest salt shall be count as seasoning, as it should be.
It is kind of disappointing that I cannot add salt into my lovely hare meat stew :(

Back then the salt was used foremostly for preservation. The food was seasoned with herbs instead. It’s far later habit to add salt to everything as seasoning.
- Sami | UnReal World creator