Topic: Reversing permadeath caused by my fat fingers?  (Read 4655 times)

Ukko

« on: June 22, 2020, 04:23:00 AM »
Hi all,

I'm a lifetime member and have played on and of for a lot of years. Thanks to Sami for this amazing game and his ever reliable support.

I want to ask anyone reading if I somehow can resurrect my character that I accidentally killed through suicide with the Q key, rather than drinking? I was distracted and missed the screen prompts saying I was killing myself.

I read you can hit F4 if you didn't get to the final screen, but I'd gone all the way before I knew this.

I'm prepared to use a simple PC file editor, but obviously the character's file has gone from the UnRealWorld folder. So I guess he is gone for good?

I'm a fan of permadeath games, but not dying like this!

Thanks for any help.

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 04:39:59 AM »
 I'm afraid that unless;
You made a backup copy of the save folder, OR
You have regular backups of your system, OR
Have some windows features which allow un-deletion from the disks meta data.

The character is lost.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Ukko

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 05:53:51 AM »
I'm afraid that unless;
You made a backup copy of the save folder, OR
You have regular backups of your system, OR
Have some windows features which allow un-deletion from the disks meta data.

The character is lost.

Thanks. Yes I believed so anyway. I had thought about backing up the character file manually a few days ago (I've done it years ago once with another character) but didn't, and I only regularly back up essential PC folders.

I don't like to back characters up because it's a temptation to avoid that bitter permadeath. I guess it's good actually that gone means gone.

I've downloaded File Scavenger to see if I can find the deleted folder, it will run now for an hour or so to check the 'C' drive. Might as well.

Meantime I';m running up a new character!

Labtop 215

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 08:50:54 AM »
Yea, I don't understand why this game decided to build in a suicide command.

PALU

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 09:14:58 AM »
If you're using Windows I'd expect the deleted character folder to be moved to the recycle bin, but whether that folder contains info marking it as dead is unknown to me. Also note that resurrection requires you to get rid of the ancestors file (or whatever it's called), as its log of the character's death prevents the usage of that character name for a new character.

If the character folder is in the recycle bin, I'd expect it not to show up in a disk search for removed files/folders, as the folder still exists (unless the bin has been emptied).

Personally I try to copy the character folder after every play session, removing the set once there's a hundred or so of them (keeping the latest, of course). While UrW is very stable, there is still the occasional fatal corruption (I think my latest case was caused by a power outage, something that's very hard to protect against in a program).

Obviously, though, it makes it very tempting to resurrect characters that died legitimately.

Privateer

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 08:02:53 PM »

Since files are changed as you play (as time passes) when you close a character, the files have most likely been changed from the point of loading. If you choose to not save "make consistent save" the file data must be abandoned.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Labtop 215

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 08:58:22 PM »

Since files are changed as you play (as time passes) when you close a character, the files have most likely been changed from the point of loading. If you choose to not save "make consistent save" the file data must be abandoned.

No it doesn't.  You can just abandon the changes.

Privateer

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 06:01:15 AM »

That is not correct. Changes are made to the data files as time passes, No copy of the original data is stored 'aside' and thus "You can just abandon the changes" and thus delete the files aka suicide.
Mods:

Night

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 03:54:39 PM »

Game files get overwritten periodically by the games data, it'd be possible to make an auto-save mod that would periodically backup your characters files and allow for reloading on death.

That is not correct. Changes are made to the data files as time passes, No copy of the original data is stored 'aside' and thus "You can just abandon the changes" and thus delete the files aka suicide.
URW Character Menu - Cheating menu by a player, for the players.
URW Character Designer - Design your characters sprite!