Topic: [system specific, solved] map not loading  (Read 5054 times)

p1m

« on: May 30, 2020, 07:21:56 PM »
I'm playing version 3.62 on Steam for Linux (through Crouton on a Chromebook). Previous versions on this same machine were playable as of a year ago. But playing 3.62, I can't get past the map loading screen. I have tried this with existing characters as well as creating new ones. The loading screen gets frozen at "LOADING MAP... Avomeri (open sea)" and I have to force-quit the program.

I read this question and have changed my settings to Old Hardware Mode: ON, and restarted the game. No change.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 08:29:54 PM by Sami »

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 08:47:54 AM »
Haven’t got that issue, but always when loading save game; the location flashes through Open Sea ‘avomeri’. If believe that’s just the map loading (with 0,0 coordinates at top left) and like you’re postulating: where your game load crashes.

Have you tried with older version install, say 3.52, with same save games? Or where those where you older characters are from?

Another thing that comes to mind: I got a feeling that you can create a new character, but when you start playing that character, the game freezes?

(Just trying time help/understand/clear the issue... I like to keep Sami busy with Suggestions...  :-[

p1m

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 09:16:59 PM »
Hi - I'm not sure how to play an older version of the game through Steam. Steam has auto-updated me to 3.6. I would guess that my existing characters are from 3.52 or thereabouts. Is there a guide somewhere for playing an older version of URW on Steam?

Yes - when I try to create a new character, the game lets me get through all the steps and then freezes at the same spot: LOADING MAP... Avomeri (open sea).

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 12:59:41 PM »
I'm playing version 3.62 on Steam for Linux (through Crouton on a Chromebook). Previous versions on this same machine were playable as of a year ago. But playing 3.62, I can't get past the map loading screen. I have tried this with existing characters as well as creating new ones. The loading screen gets frozen at "LOADING MAP... Avomeri (open sea)" and I have to force-quit the program.

I read this question and have changed my settings to Old Hardware Mode: ON, and restarted the game. No change.

Hmm. What's the exact Linux distro you're using? And for how long you have waited at "LOADING MAP ... " screen before judging it a freeze? 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds?

All in all, if you e-mail me I can provide you with some earlier versions you can try out. And as this sounds so system specific it might be wiser anyway if we talked this over with e-mail, so feel free to get in conctact.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

p1m

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 11:01:47 PM »
Thanks Sami, I sent you an email.  :)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 03:52:40 PM »
Thanks Sami, I sent you an email.  :)

Good, though I'm not sure if I've got it just yet. Could you re-send just to confirm.

p1m

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 08:17:05 PM »
Hi Sami, I was able to open my saves on another (newer) Chromebook running Crouton! (EDIT: I simply installed the Linux version and am running it successfully, instead of trying to get Chromebook to run Crouton/Linux to run *Steam* to run URW.) Not sure if my former issue is still worth you looking into since my situation was so weird.

Happily playing now. p1m lives!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 02:28:02 AM by p1m »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 08:29:34 PM »
Hi Sami, I was able to open my saves on another (newer) Chromebook running Crouton! (EDIT: I simply installed the Linux version and am running it successfully, instead of trying to get Chromebook to run Crouton/Linux to run *Steam* to run URW.) Not sure if my former issue is still worth you looking into since my situation was so weird.

Happily playing now. p1m lives!

Good to hear this, and if it's not broken anymore we don't also need to fix it. So let it happily let it be like this and case closed.