Topic: Dog size to affect prey they’ll engage  (Read 5243 times)

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« on: April 28, 2020, 05:54:06 AM »
Suggestion to change how dogs corner or engage targets

Keep “regular” size dogs as is.
Change small dogs to only engage squirrel/marten/weasel size and corner fox/badger/beaver and bigger. No attacking Njerps with small Fido.
Change large dog to engage all but bears, elks except calves, big and regular forest reindeer.

Maybe UnRealWorld dogs aren’t all Finnish Spitz..?

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 06:24:11 AM »
For the big dog, refer to Karelian bear dog
Regular size refer to Finnish Spitz and Norwegian elkhound
and small one, perhaps Karelo-Finnish Laika, that doesn't exist any more, but was classified as Finnish Spitz, albeit tend to be/were smaller.

Ara D.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 07:01:18 PM »
Perhaps a personality traits? timid vrs bold. I've met many a dog who struggled with concept that he wasn't 10 foot tall and bullet proof. My current dog a 90lb mutt with let's call it healthly padding has zero fear of something the size of a north American elk, as attested to the by the fact that she wants to bark and them when we go to my friend's elk farm.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 06:11:31 PM »
Suggestion to change how dogs corner or engage targets

Keep “regular” size dogs as is.
Change small dogs to only engage squirrel/marten/weasel size and corner fox/badger/beaver and bigger. No attacking Njerps with small Fido.
Change large dog to engage all but bears, elks except calves, big and regular forest reindeer.

Maybe UnRealWorld dogs aren’t all Finnish Spitz..?

I don't know if it's good to have the dog hunting behaviour linked to their size alone, but there could indeed be difference in their effectiveness as hunting companions. What I'd like to do would be that you need to train you dog to go after the prey. They wouldn't all be equally courageous and obedient from the start. Well, villagers surely would have their hunting companions trained but certainly wouldn't want to sell their best ones too easily.
- Sami | UnReal World creator