Topic: UnReal World Mobile Controller app for Android Devices  (Read 11029 times)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« on: March 23, 2020, 06:20:26 PM »
Having hard time learning UnReal World keyboard commands?
Interested in modding keyboard macros for repeated tasks?
Or just wishing to use a touch screen instead of the physical keyboard?

We have some good news for you! A brand new UnReal World Mobile Controller app does exactly those things. Tap a "BUILD FIRE" button on touch screen and your character starts to build a fire. Tap "EAT" button and it will open a list of your food items, and you can use the Mobile Controller buttons to choose the item to eat. Edit a XML-file to customize the Mobile Controller virtual buttons, so that you can have buttons so arranged it best fits your personal playstyle.

The app comes in two versions; A free version with Google ads and with the standard virtual button layouts. And a paid full version which doesn't have ads and also allows you to use custom layouts. At the moment the Mobile Controller is available for Android only. An iPhone version might follow later on, depending on demand.

Find the UnReal World Mobile Controller at Google Play.
The full version
The free version

The app idea was suggested by a fellow indie inventor Ilmari Tamminen from Vaakalintu Ltd.
He did a whole lot of the design work, while Erkka (from Enormous Elk) did the coding.
This thing has been cooking for quite some time and now it's officially released.

Mobile Controller works with version 3.62 onwards.

- Sami | UnReal World creator

Night

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 06:26:18 PM »
This looks really cool. And quite an innovative way to handle UI, Great work!
URW Character Menu - Cheating menu by a player, for the players.
URW Character Designer - Design your characters sprite!

StefanPravda

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 08:36:37 PM »
Very cool! Any chance to see it ported to PC? With those buttons on a bar at the bottom or top of the game? The game lacks such things, I don't really mind if I have to pay for an upgrade for the PC.

Or can I use it with my PC somehow? And maybe mod the size of the buttons too? :D I mean use it with the PC without using my mobile, although I have a cool smartphone I use it 90% of the time for calling and messages and that's it. Barely browsing or playing chess on it when I have to wait for something and I really have a problem with going mobile, people spend too much time with the filthy piece of metal :P
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:43:49 PM by StefanPravda »

Erkka

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 08:52:36 PM »
Very cool! Any chance to see it ported to PC?

At the moment it is too early to discuss possible ports to other devices. Let's first see how it goes with the fresh Android version. Future plans will be crafted later on, based on user feedback. (Your feedback included, naturally  :) I write down that a PC version has been suggested).

And maybe mod the size of the buttons too?

That is already doable with the full version of the app. In the standard layouts buttons are divided on two tabs. All the buttons can be defined in a xml-file, and the modding system is rather flexible. For example, one could spread the buttons to four tabs. That way there would be less buttons on each tab, and they would have more space to appear bigger. Actually, something like that was suggested already in the beta-test phase, but unfortunately I haven't yet had time to create such a custom layout myself. So I encourage anyone interested in the modding possibilities to give it a try. You can customize button captions and commands, colors, background images and so on.
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

StefanPravda

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 09:20:39 PM »
Great, until then I will look for a way to use it on the PC, maybe a bluestacks resized if it's doable.

Also, you can make it as a paid DLC for PC. The way you did it with Android, free DLC with no graphics, paid DLC with graphics. And if you want, you can include the Android DLC as a gift for the ones that purchase the Steam paid DLC, and viceversa, give the Steam DLC as a gift for the ones that purchase the Android app.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 09:23:09 PM by StefanPravda »

Ara D.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 07:48:20 AM »
Is this a controller for my PC UrW or is this a mobile phone version of UrW🤞

Erkka

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 07:54:26 AM »
Is this a controller for my PC UrW or is this a mobile phone version of UrW

this is not a mobile phone version of the game itself. To use this app it is necessary to have the game running on your computer.

Consider this app as an alternative to the physical keyboard. You press keyboard buttons to control the game, but the game itself runs on your computer.
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

Ezezaguna

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 04:08:25 PM »
Nice  8)