Topic: Limping and animal size tracking information  (Read 7174 times)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« on: December 07, 2019, 01:21:43 PM »
The last update of year 2019 is coming up, and so is this tracking related addition:

- added: limping and animal size tracking information

When examining tracks now you can also see if the creature is limping. This requires
          character's TRACKING skill to be 25% or more. Severity of the actual leg injury can't
          be interpreted so crippled animals also leave limping tracks.
               Animal size, big or small, can be also seen from their tracks now. This is so
          obvious that only absolutely untrained trackers will fail to notice it.
          Moreover, the actual track graphics are also shown smaller or larger depending on
          the creature size. Notice that as the young animals smaller in size their tracks pretty
          much always appear as small ones.
               The new information is displayed in tracking messages for example like this:
          "You see here fresh limping tracks of small elk..."

These are future additions, not yet functional in the current version 3.60.
The update featuring these additions - and more - is to be released still in 2019.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Roqi

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 04:00:23 PM »
Fantastic!

My only fear is pertaining to this:

Moreover, the actual track graphics are also shown smaller or larger depending on
          the creature size.

A small version of an already small animal like a hare or ermine might leave tracks that are impossible to see by the player...

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 06:12:35 PM »
Fantastic!

My only fear is pertaining to this:

the creature size.

A small version of an already small animal like a hare or ermine might leave tracks that are impossible to see by the player...

Not to worry, they won't get that tiny as small animal track graphics are already overly large in their relative size.

Dark Art

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 03:11:25 AM »
Very interesting, I always thought that tracking is somewhat weak at its current state. Its very useful, but still kinda weak, so more info its gives - the better. You know, it might be worthwhile to consider some kind of auto-follow option for good trackers. Say, a tracker with over 50% would have an option to auto follow tracks till the prey comes in sight. But then again, this might be a bit too much, just a thought.

P.S. Its been a while for me, glad to see you guys are still at it. At least some things are stable in this world and you can depend on those crazy Finns to keep on with the development no matter what ;)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 05:30:46 PM »
P.S. Its been a while for me, glad to see you guys are still at it. At least some things are stable in this world and you can depend on those crazy Finns to keep on with the development no matter what ;)

:D Hehe. Welcome back! Fractured humerus slowed me down for couple of months, but yes indeed, we're still doing our things.

Dark Art

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 06:10:08 PM »
Damn... And why would you go and fracture your own humerus? I know you got two of them, but still... Come on man, you should know better!

Heh, looks like its been a nasty year for you too, eh? I am still recovering from a compound fracture in my wrist. My right bloody wrist! I mean, who would've thought that ice can be so damn slippery and smashing my 81 kilos on top of a single wrist into the road can wreck it so badly? Oh well, sh!t happens, at least it wasnt my head and now I got some really fancy metalwork embedded into me :)

Get better man! And do take care of the undamaged parts you got :)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 06:28:55 PM »
Damn... And why would you go and fracture your own humerus? I know you got two of them, but still... Come on man, you should know better!

Heh, looks like its been a nasty year for you too, eh? I am still recovering from a compound fracture in my wrist. My right bloody wrist! I mean, who would've thought that ice can be so damn slippery and smashing my 81 kilos on top of a single wrist into the road can wreck it so badly? Oh well, sh!t happens, at least it wasnt my head and now I got some really fancy metalwork embedded into me :)

Get better man! And do take care of the undamaged parts you got :)

Oo..falling on slippery surface is a mother of many fractures. :)
I'm all good now, it's been a full year since the incident, and mine was a result of horseback archery.
Not the first fall of the horse, but the hardest one. Here's the dev.post about it:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=4664.0

In order to keep dev.posts tidy and readable let's restrict the personal stuff here, and talk more elsewhere, even e-mails if feel like that.

Dark Art

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 07:06:46 PM »
My bad Sami. You are right, no more flooding.