Topic: [not a bug] Cellar in building- problem smoking/drying  (Read 7516 times)

Tom H

« on: October 11, 2019, 08:58:40 PM »
I build cellars inside my cabin. Since the latest update, when I try to dry or smoke meat while standing ON/IN the cellar, I get the message that says I don't have the required conditions to do this. However, if I move off the cellar I can successfully smoke/dry the meat. It's a minor thing, yes, but it's something that has changed. Not sure if it was intended.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 03:27:35 PM by Sami »

Ara D.

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 09:48:59 PM »
I don't think it is a bug as much as a minor exploit that's been fixed. To build a cellar you need a ground tile. Which means you did not build a floor/ ceiling tile so technically your trying to smoke your meat under a giant hole in the roof.

Tom H

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 01:22:56 AM »
A lot of things are abstracted in the game, like the fires needed for smoking. We start a fire once and that's all that is needed for the entire process. The actual area of the cellar is abstracted. And, imagine bunking down in the atmosphere of a smokehouse! Yet we can.

I'm not a purist nor am I looking for an exploit. I just noted the change and wondered if the change is intentional. And, it's a small matter in the end...

Ara D.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 09:50:35 PM »
Ya I get that, no judgement. Lord knows I exploit the crap out of tiny branch fires to cook batches of food with out fear of burning them. I was just pointing out that Sammi probably changed tightened the checks on smoking and now a non indoor tile can't be used even though it's surrounded by 4 walls.

Labtop 215

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 12:20:59 AM »
Drying dosn't require a floor or ceiling tile though, so drying should still work on a cellar, unless something else has changed.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 03:27:15 PM »
I can't recall having made changes to this, but it can't really be considered a bug either since cellars shouldn't be built inside cabins in the first place (as they are not that kind).
But since this is not restricted, and if cellars are used as part of buildings, room related checks can go broken. Smoking checks if you are in a heated room, and I suspect having cellar inside this particular cabin breaks the check logic somehow as the cellar is an outdoor element really.

What I really would like to fix would be not to allow cellars being built inside - and yes, also that the smoking would require constant care of the fire and room temperature.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Privateer

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 08:48:29 PM »

What I really would like to fix would be not to allow cellars being built inside - and yes, also that the smoking would require constant care of the fire and room temperature.

To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Tom H

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 11:00:00 PM »
I guess I'm equating them with 'root cellars' which, as far as I remember, were often dug under/inside dwellings. I wonder why it would be different in Finland?

PALU

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 12:36:28 AM »
Remember that we're talking about fairly primitive buildings that may not have any floor at all (I believe the contemporary Viking long houses didn't have any floors, although the ground may well have been covered by hides, at least to some extent). Smoke from the fire place (or open fire) was let out through a hole in the roof, rather than led out through a chimney. I suspect the houses in UrW are actually or a more modern design than what was actually used during the UrW time period.

The type of cellar I'm familiar with that may be similar to the UrW ones (although 1000 years later) consists of a stair down to a door that enters into an area dug out from the earth a bit below the surface (or below a mound of earth, possibly made from the material dug out). The depth should be such that the inside is frost free. The UrW cellar appears to be similar to this type with the difference that the entrance is vertical through a hatch rather than via stairs.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 05:32:54 PM »
PALU's description matches to quite extent what kind of cellars we're talking about.

This is an old cellar at Erkka's place, with the old doors removed.

Coming up with such a space right under the house would require whole different approach to house building, especially if the floor was mere dirt, so the cellars were dug into mounds. It's likely that most players think of UrW cellars differently, as we haven't emphasized the building requirements/restrictions too much. But now you know. :)

- Sami | UnReal World creator

Tom H

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 08:25:38 AM »
Aye. This topic got me looking online for info on root cellars. Many descriptions were exactly what Sami has shown. I'm going to start moving mine outdoors, just to get it right!